System Restore problem

• Thread starter HybrdFusioNZ
  • Start date
H

HybrdFusioNZ

No matter which restore point I choose, it always ends up as an incomplete restoration. Is there some way to get system restore to work?

Do you have enough disk space? System Restore and Indexing Service are the first two things I disable on XP.

Yea, I'm pretty sure I have the disk space. I'm using a a 6gig drive for just windows XP, all my programs and media are located on a different drive. The settings for system restore on the 6gig is at the max and it definitely has the free space needed for it.

Have you defragmented your drive? If the drive is badly fragmented the restore points will beome corrupt. Try running scandisk (chkdsk) using scan and attempt recovery option too.

Hope that helps ;)

This will get system restore working again but YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR RESTORE POINTS.

Right click my computer/properties/system restore. Turn it off & reboot. Go back to system restore & turn it on. It will create its own restore point from there.

How far back have you gone on the "Restore Point"???

Go back further that a month (30 days) and try it.

Have you checked the Events Log?

How do I look at the event logs to investigate any system restore errors?

Answer: To check the event logs for System Restore related errors:

Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click "Performance and Maintenance".
Click Administrative Tools, click Computer Management, double-click Event Viewer, and then click System.
Click the Source tab to sort by name, and then look for "sr" or "srservice." Double-click each of these services, and then evaluate the event description for any indication of the cause of the problem.

Have you ensured System Restore Services are running?

How can I verify that the System Restore services are running on my machine?

Answer: To verify that the System Restore service is running use the following procedure.

Verifying that the service is started from the Control Panel:
Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click "Performance and Maintenance".
Click Administrative Tools, click Computer Management, and then click Services and Applications.
Click Services, and then click System Restore Services. Make sure the Service is set to "Automatic" and the status is "started".

And one more and this is an "off the wall" long shot:

Why is System Restore suspended on my machine although I have enough free space on my system drive?

Answer: This can occur when the following conditions are true:

A drive that is not a system drive that has System Restore enabled on it has reached less than 50 MB of free disk space.

A copy, delete, modify operation was made to a file that is monitored by System Restore on such drive.

This will cause System Restore to suspend across the system. To resolve this issue please visit
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q299904

Of course if you have already done what Hipster has suggested - this may be of no use to you!

woah! Completely forgot about this. Anyway, thanks for all of your suggestions. However, they didn't fix my problem :( . My drive was fragmented moderately but I recently defragged it before I tried to restore. So I guess my restore points were corrupted anyway. My computer suddenly lost its speed and it had a hard time extracting large rar files and playing back movies. Loading time of menus, etc were significantly slow [even after the defrag]. I thought a system restore would do the trick but I couldn't get that to work so I did ol' format and now everything is back to normal again. Thanks again for all of your help. :)

I'd say you had a little more than a system restore problem - glad you got it all sorted!;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back