System Restore - Not Working

P

percyv143

HELP !!!
My XP Pro system restore is not working anymore.
All dates are shown but after shutdown and logon it would show its window that it was not able to restore the pc to the previous restore date.
Need help.
Thanks.

Performing a defrag will result in you restore settings getting buggered up and system restore will not work. Always create a new restore point after a system defrag.

Heeter

One way to get it working again is to turn system restore off, reboot, turn it on. NOTE: you will loose ALL your previous restore points.

Performing a defrag will result in you restore settings getting buggered up and system restore will not work. Always create a new restore point after a system defrag.
Huh? System restore works fine, and I never have made restore points ater a defrag.

Originally posted by Gus K
Huh? System restore works fine, and I never have made restore points ater a defrag.

I agree with Gus - I normally defrag once a week and have never had any problems with my restore points being messed up by a defrag.

Have you tried more than one restore point?

Double check and see if System Restore Service is set to Automatic and started.(Start>Control panel>Administrative Tools>Services)

If none of your Restore Points work than you really do not have much choice other than what Hipster suggested.

Originally posted by Heeter

Heeter

Sorry I defrag every night and my system restore never got messed up either ...:eek:

This code snippet allows you to be about 78% sure that you restore points are all valid, a feature that’s not available in XP until it’s to late (as has happened to me on every single occasion that I’ve attempted to use this feature.

Create a new Scheduled Task and point it to the VBS file. After the script runs, it will leave a dialog telling you whether or not the Restore Point was successfully created. This script can be viewed in Notepad or any text editor, as to the specific Registry key and value that are updated. For an EXE version of this utility, go to: -

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/SysRestorePoint.

'Unattended System Restore Point
'sysrestorepoint.vbs
'© Doug Knox - rev 02/11/2002
'This code may be freely distributed/modified
'Downloaded from www.dougknox.com
'Extracted from original code by Bill James - www.billsway.com

Set sr = getobject("winmgmts:\\.\root\default:Systemrestore")

msg = "New Restore Point successfully created." & vbCR
msg = msg & "It is listed as: " & vbCR
msg = msg & "Automatic Restore Point " & Date & " " & Time

'Put a ' in front of the next five lines to disable the Success Failed Prompt.
If (sr.createrestorepoint("Automatic Restore Point", 0, 100)) = 0 Then
MsgBox msg
Else
MsgBox "Restore Point creation Failed!"
End If

'Remove the ' from the next 3 lines to only alert you if the process failed
'If (sr.createrestorepoint("Automatic Restore Point", 0, 100)) <> 0 Then
' MsgBox "Restore Point creation Failed!"
'End If

:happy: :happy:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back