System Restore not functioning properly

C

cr3434

I've been having issues with my system restore. I was unable to restore to any points on my system. I disabled system restore, thus erasing all previous restore points, then re-enabled it. I created a point, then immediately restored to that point. It worked. This was yesterday. Today I am again unable to restore to any of my previous points, even the one I used yesterday. Any thoughts?

I've never had any luck with System Restore, I disable it and don't even use it.

I'm starting to view it the same way. I don't see the purpose if it doesn't even work. On a separate note, are you familiar with Adobe products? I was cleaning up old printers installed on my computer, and I accidentally erased the "Adobe PDF" printer (for Acrobat 6.0 Standard), and I've lost my Adobe disks. That's why I was trying to restore in the first place.

You could try downloading Acrobat off the internet and use your CDKey.

I was going to suggest a repair install but it will probably ask for the discs, same for trying to update it.

I'm not sure if this will help in your situation (but it can't hurt)! I've found that there are sometimes excess files in the SVI folders and they need to be deleted for System Restore to work. While there may be a better way to do this, the method I've found that works best is to do the following:

1) Disable System Restore on all drives (restore points are immediately deleted)

2) Reboot (may be unnecessary in most cases, but can't hurt)

3) Look in each SVI folder and if there are any files, delete them. The folders should be completely empty.

4) Re-enable System Restore on the drives you want protected.

5) Reboot.

Then try to restore to your new Restore point. Let some time pass and then create another restore point and see if you can restore to either or both of these points.

Bottom line is turning restore off does not delete any extraneous files if they exsist - it only deletes the restore points! These extra files somehow corrupt the restore points. Try it - it can't hurt! Good Luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back