System Restore gone Funny

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
anybody else had this before, any ideas how to fix it. PC has been restarted a few times and message recurs.

PC running XP home, if that helps. SysRestore was turned off, to remove a worm virus.

K I will try to get the person to try this stuff

tried starting the System Restore Service, but it starts and then stops, cant seem to get it to stay running

dunno about the event viewer, I dont exactly have direct access to the machine, it all over the phone

this is funny, the whole purpose of using service instead of the start up folder is that it keeps starting once it does shut down.

interesting

I will try that later, shes doing an essay at the mo

do a repair from the cd
boot from the cd
choose install
when the first repair option comes up ignore continue with install
when it finds the previous installation then choose repair

as I said I dont have direct access and I think trying to do a repair install is the last thing she wants to have to do

by doing the repair you don't lose any of your files,and people being instructed over the phone or internet that don't have much computer knowledge usually find it easier to follow.it was only a suggestion.

Why not use the remote tools and get into her PC? That's why XP has them built in... Although I would never use them. I would use a 3rd party VNC before ever using the Remote Assistant.

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
Why not use the remote tools and get into her PC? That's why XP has them built in... Although I would never use them. I would use a 3rd party VNC before ever using the Remote Assistant.

Why?

And the repair option above is a very good easy way to fix alot of stupid mis haps :)

make sure that the RPC service is on as well... this is a dependancy.

Geffy - When I have had a similiar prob (if I'm readin this right) the answer for me was to turn off sys restore, reboot, turn it back on, reboot, an then it worked again. :)

Edit: Oops, I see this has already been suggested.Never mind!:D

RPC is running fine, we cant use Remote Assistance as we are both behind University Proxy servers so it doesnt work.

I have asked her to send or post the Event Viewer information. I hope that will help find a solution

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back