System Restore Error

leedogg

Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!
I recently had to do a Repair of XP and now when I try to launch system restore I ge this cryptic message:

RSTRUI.EXE - Entry Point not found
The Procedure entry point RemoteAssistancePrepareSystemRestore could not be located in the dynamic link library WINSTA.dll

Does anybody have any clue what this is and how to fix?

I wanted to try to restore my pc to a point before I had to do this repair...if thats possible or advisable??

Appreciate any feedback.

If you did a repair install (loaded XP over a current existing XP) I am not sure if you have to reinstall SP1 or not - that would be my first repair action - to make sure SP1 was installed. If memory serves me correctly the WINSTA.dll is one of the replaced/updated files in SP1!

I got this fix from microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support - I have never tried it but it fixede this persons problem!

1. In My Computer, click the Tools menu -> Folder Options.
2. On the View tab, make sure to check the option "Hide extensions for
known file types".
3. Click OK.
4. Click the Start menu -> Run. Type "%windir%\inf" (Without quotation
marks) in the Open field. Click OK.
5. Locate and select the file "sr.inf". Right-click it and then click
Install.

<edit> - I think you will find only the initial restore point - the one that will be made when you get system restore running again. Besides with a repair action - I do not believe any of your previous restore points will be there and if they are still there you will have made wholesale changes to the registry with the repair and they won't work anyway!<edit>

You can not use system restore to go back to a state before you did the repair install. See Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 301224.

For the other problem check the version of Winsta.dll. Likely you still have the Service Pack version 5.1.2600.1106 but the service pack isn't installed. Installing it will fix the problem. Otherwise you'll have to expand the file from your Windows XP cd.

OMG how could I forget the service pack! Trying to remember all the things that need to be patched/upgraded and windows update being down isnt helping...sigh. DamnYank's instructions worked to the T. Thanks man!!! Thanks for the extra info yoyo. OK no restores before the repair. Thats ok. I'm just glad the repair worked. Ran Ghost for the first time and it really did a number on my boot files....suffice to say I was getting "OS not detected" on bootup :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back