System restarts on suspend/hibernate

C

chkhong

I'd be grateful for anyone's help.
My system immediately restarts after going into suspend or hibernate. I am running XP updated last week, motherboard ASUS A7A266-E. The PC's been doing this from day 1 despite one XP reinstallation on a wiped HDD.
Thanks very much for any thoughts and suggestions.:D

Does it restart when it went into standby mode or hibernation? Or did it restart when you waked the computer up?

While I know this doesn't answer your question, please allow me to state my opinion. Hibernate & Standby use resources unnecessarily and can (obviously) cause problems.

It's much better for your system if you just set the hd & display to power down after a specified period of inactivity.

It restarts a split second after going to sleep - the cooling fans/HDD don't even have time to spin down! And i haven't touched anything in the meantime. I have also disabled start up on mouse.
Thanks.

are you doing this by one touch via keyboard or through xp itself bc i know w/ my logitech keyboard untill i d/l the new drivers it would not go into stanby/hibernate......only restart

Allan
My PC is incredibly noisy and sits outside my bedroom. I like to leave it on to do stuf at night but would like it to suspent/shut down after hence the suspend. Also it heats up my upstairs like anything otherwise. Is there a 3rd way?

VdubVR6
Thanks. It does it whether I suspend from an XP window or from the keyboard dedicated buttons.
Nice car.

well then i aint got no clue......might be a wake on lan prob. or some kind of hardware prob. maybe your mobo dont like standby have you ever tried going on standby w/ another os on that box

yeah vdubs are the shiznit

Have you updated you motherboard drivers? That may help sometimes. Also, check you other drivers (soundcard/vidcard etc.). Are they up to date, original versions (ie. no leaked ones).

I may have a second solution for you. Try disabling 'System restart after system failure' (how? right click My computer > properties > advanced tab > Startup and recovery > remove the tick at 'automatically restart') Then, if it all goes well, the computer will display an error-message instead of restarting. In that error-message you'll see what's causing the problem (mostly a faulty driver).

chk - gee, nothing I can think of....sorry. But the fact that it's noisy raises other questions - is it the power supply/fan that's noisy? If so, can you replace it?

VdubVR6
Er do what? I think if it isn't an easy solution, I'll give up and take Allan's advice.
Cheers mate.

Allan
Wrt noise, the machine (got it the other month) sounds like the space shuttle on take-off. My wife's giving me plenty of heat about the noise too...but that's another story.
I have an XP 1800+, a Radeon 8500 AIW and a MaxtorHD spinning at 7200. Must be a lot of things rotating in there. I've looked up quietpc.com or something and when I can afford it again might buy some quieter fans or something. The MAxtor is very loud!

Thanks everyone for your advice. Much appreciated. Gotta go watch a film. Any more comments will be gratefully received and read later but I may not answer so promptly.
Thanks again.

Have you already checked my options? I once had the same problem with you and it turned out to be my soundcard. I mailed Creative about it and they put new drivers on their homepage a few days later and six months later, no problem encountered!

you could try those sound dampning pads...
i dont knw how much they are....but.........they would probably help...

yeah or i was reading on this one site this guy actually used mouse pads and taped them to his pc to make it quite:D

Glaanieboy
Hey I took your advice and a blue screen of death came up. The salient parts of the message (serious error blaa blaa) were
MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS
STOP:0X00000044
(0XFEDA08,0X00001B90,0X00000000,0X00000000)

Whatever that all means! Is that anything meaningful or do I have to try disabling each of my peripherals/components in turn to see which is causing the confilct? Thanks.

System:
Athlon XP 1800+
ASUS A7A266-E board (disabled onboard sound)
512Mb DDR Ram
Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus 60 HDD
Matshita DVDRom SR-8587
TeacCD-W524E CD Rewriter
Microsoft Optical Intellimouse (USB)
Slim Media Keyboard (USB)
Soundblaster Audigy Player
Radeon All in Wonder 8500
2 Firewire ports
Best Data PCI Modem
Network card (generic)
Cable Broadband
LG 728LE 17" LCD Monitor (SPDif)

Dampening pads:Anyone know if they raise the temperature significantly? Mouse pads sound like a good idea! I got some real shitty ones I could lose.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back