System requirements for a home (internal only) server.

ming

OSNN Advanced
Can someone suggest the minimum-to-average system hardware requirements for a home server that may have upto 6 machines connecting to it? (Especially CPU & RAM)
Possible use of server:
1. Application sharing
2. File sharing
3. Gaming
4. Combination of the above.

ming said:
Can someone suggest the minimum-to-average system hardware requirements for a home server that may have upto 6 machines connecting to it? (Especially CPU & RAM)
Possible use of server:
1. Application sharing
2. File sharing
3. Gaming
4. Combination of the above.
pretty much any machine that still runs can do filesharing and application sharing, the only specs you'll have to work to live up to are the game server specs. and that heavily depends on which games you'll be serving on the machine. some games have system requirements for servers in FAQs and such...

or if you list them here we might be able to come up with something :)

cpugeniusmv said:
pretty much any machine that still runs can do filesharing and application sharing, the only specs you'll have to work to live up to are the game server specs. and that heavily depends on which games you'll be serving on the machine. some games have system requirements for servers in FAQs and such...

or if you list them here we might be able to come up with something :)
Got nothing is particular at the moment, but say something like CM4, CS and UT2004.
Suggestions on specs that will run these games smoothly?
Also, can a machine run host two games simultaneously?

These are minimums:

1. Application sharing - >1gig CPU with 512 RAM and 7200 RPM HD.
2. File sharing - any K6 or P3 machine. 256 RAM 7200 RPM HD.
3. Gaming - (I assume you meant dedicated server w/six users.) 3 gig Barton, 1 gig RAM
4. Combination of the above. (See answer to 3.)

You will probably have bad results file sharing while running a gaming server. If you must combine them I'd think about 3 gig P4 with 800 mhz FSB. Anyone else have any puts on trying to file share off a gaming server?

3 gig Barton for a gaming server? Depends on the game but I don't know any that require that much. Don't listen to him.

Are you serious? This is a small home server for internal use only.
I'm gona try and find those mini server thingies and see what specs they have.

LeeJend thats way over the top mate ;)
Mines a P3 running at 550mhz, with 512mb SDRAM, 30gb 5400rpm drive and it runs perfectly as an application, ftp, webserver and filesharing!

currently i run a server for the same thing you have, it is a p4 1.7ghtz with 512mb's ram... dont need much to run a dedicated server. UT2K4 uses barely any clock cycles and 93mbs ram when it is running. other than that it is all good.

Unleashed said:
LeeJend thats way over the top mate ;)
Mines a P3 running at 550mhz, with 512mb SDRAM, 30gb 5400rpm drive and it runs perfectly as an application, ftp, webserver and filesharing!
Definitely.
I know people with (internal, and httpd) servers of 300 to 400Mhz, and only 256mb ram. You don't need anything too impressive until it comes to the gaming.. each game will have their minimum and recomended server specs somewhere to use as a reference :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back