System Protection Disk Usage

American Zombie

Staff member
Political Access
In XP you could adjust the percentage of how much disk space restore could use but I can not seem to find this in Vista. Reason I want to adjust it is I looked at how much space that the drive Vista is on was using and it was about 70GB. I used disk cleanup to remove system restore points except the last one and the drive usage went down to 38GB. System restore/previous versions was taking up 32GB of disk space off the drive which seems a bit much to me. Any place this can be adjusted?

Glad it worked, was a good tweak for me too as I hadn't gotten around to looking into that. 15% on large drives is a bit crazy, not sure why they decided to hide being able to change that :eek:

Just found another way to do it without going into the registry. IMO Microsoft should add the slider back in for SP1 so people can choose how much space to use on their computer.

Decrease Storage Space Allocated To System Restore

Edit: I wonder if the registry hack and resizing per the above link are two different things. I changed the percentage in the registry then to make sure it took affect I rebooted. I then opened a command prompt and entered Vssadmin list shadowstorage

The maximum storage space amount was unchanged from before I had changed the registry so I put the registry entry back to 15% then entered in a command prompt vssadmin resize shadowstorage /On=C: /For=C: /Maxsize=10GB

After doing that I checked again by entering Vssadmin list shadowstorage
and the amount was now 10GB for maximum.

Last edited:
Interesting indeed.

I'm going to fiddle with this on my home PC tomorrow, I'll post how each one works for me too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back