System Power Problems

Ratbastard

OSNN Newbie
OK...here's my problem. In Windows XP, when I shut down my computer (start menu, shut down) then try to power back up I have to reach around to the back of the case and turn off the main power switch :confused: , wait for a moment then turn it back on. I don't have to use the front panel power switch, it turns on when I hit the main power seitch. When I wait to turn power back on, right after turning off the main power, there is a little...kind of...squeeke, like a cap discharging or something. After that happens the Standby Power LED turns out (on the motherboard) and the power lamp turns out out in my USB hub. :confused: Takes a second before this happens.

My front panel power switch does nothing. I do have plugged into the correct socket on teh MOBO. The reset switch will work.

Could this be the result of a BIOS setting? I have searched and searched for a solution and can't find anything like what's going on in my machine.

I have an ASUS A7N8X Main Board, Geforce4 Ti 4800 video card, 512 MB PC3200 DDR RAM from Crucial.

Thanx for any help!!! :)

Make sure ACPI is turned on in bios.

I'd look for any possible shorts on the headers on the mobo for power/reset.

Has this been the way it is from day one, or is this something that just reasently started?

And if since day one, was this system built by you or a computer shop or other person?

If problem is new and it worked before correctly then what have you done since this started. Did you have any system crashes? Was there any sort of power spikes in your area? Did you unplug anything inside the box while it was on?

Also in "Control Panel", under "Power Options" under the "Advanced" tab. What do you have under the option: "When I press the power button on my computer"? (see attachment)

It's been this way for a while but didn't start out this way. I'm not sure if it's something I did with the BIOS in the past or what!!

What had been done in the days prior to this?

Go into the BIOS and set everything to default then reboot and see what happens. But before ya do, make note of all yer settings then if it begins to function again go back into the BIOS and start to change the settings one by one (reboot after each individual change). But only if it begins to work properly. Otherwise we will have to try other ideas. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back