System is a bit wacky all of a sudden

zapoqx

Striking Master
So I went to uninstall some junk (Mostly games that were filling up space).I went to check my mail in Outlook 2007 and a plugin I have for LinkedIn started having errors for the first time and it never happened before. I decided to disable it when asked and then it says that "Internet Mail is not registered properly." error. Ok, so I went to go and install one last thing from a Microsoft update for that malicious tools september 07 and its failing to install. So I figure one of my games had something tied into something rather important when I uninstalled. Considering I uninstalled only 3 things, 1 of those 3 probably did it. So what should I do to fix it?

EDIT: I got a new error for one of my games that I was trying to launch talking about the Microsoft C++ Runtime error where its causing the program to terminate in an unusual way. Also, it seems alot of my internet stuff isn't working like the edit post here is requiring me to put a bit of HTML in (the p marks and stuff) as well as being on facebook, I can't send any messages. My ctrl+F is giving me an error on web page as well.

Last edited:
Little Update:So I decided to run System Restore except... System Restore won't show me a GUI. It brings up a window with a blank white screen in that window. I can't think of anything else.

Few things to try (one or all).

1. Blank System Restore Calendar

2. START > RUN:
regsvr32 jscript
regsvr32 vbscript
regsvr32 /i mshtml

3. Reinstall system restore:
goto START > RUN > type c:\windows\inf
hit enter and look for the file, SR.inf
right click it and click on Install
insert the XP CD, and complete the installation
restart and check now

did not work. I'm almost thinking of trying a repair install... would that possibly work?

Oh and... I'm starting to wonder if it has to do with the VB runtime files as since in one game that I can't play anymore, it says that "the VB Runtime files caused it to close in an unusual way." When noticing a few things in Nortan windoctor for the purpose of seeing if anything is missing, I checked and am not sure if it is correct or anything but it basically says it can't access msvcr80.dll, mfc80.dll, atl80.dll, and a few others.

Last edited:
1. Can you right-click the SR page?
Do you get standard IE pop-up menu (Back, Forward,View Source, etc.)

2. Have you tried to uninstall IE from your computer?

3. Open IE/Explorer, and type: res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe/start.htm into the address bar and press Enter.
Do you get any page or just an error?

4. Start->Run:cmd
Type these:
regsvr32 /U srclient.dll
regsvr32 srclient.dll

5. Start->Run:cmd
Type these:
regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Msjava.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Browseui.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll

6. Download and install this:
Windows Script 5.6 for Windows XP and Windows 2000

1. Can you right-click the SR page? No
Do you get standard IE pop-up menu (Back, Forward,View Source, etc.)

2. Have you tried to uninstall IE from your computer? Not yet

3. Open IE/Explorer, and type: res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe/start.htm into the address bar and press Enter.
Do you get any page or just an error? I get a page that tells me to let the activex control launch the system restore thing by microsoft corp bar. On the bottom left corner, it says error on page. Unfortunatly, anywhere I have an error on the page, I click it and can't leave the box that it gives an error on. It just keeps giving me an information with blank sections of the line, section, etc etc. if I run Firefox, its fine.

4. Start->Run:cmd
Type these:
regsvr32 /U srclient.dll
regsvr32 srclient.dll

5. Start->Run:cmd
Type these:
regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Msjava.dll (Not found)
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll (Loaded but entry point wasn't found)
regsvr32 Browseui.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll

6. Download and install this:
Windows Script 5.6 for Windows XP and Windows 2000[/quote]
Could not download or install that windows script as it tells me when I need to validate, it has an issue with trying to validate (And I know my Windows XP is valid and genuine as I have done it numerous times before) and this is trying to say that it can't figure out if it is or isn't genuine. Error Code: 0x800401f3

oh and I apologize about the sloppyness but I'm doing this on IE instead of FireFox (I don't know why I'm doing that way since FireFox is working for now). And as for more details from before, the calandar thing found 2 errors, it got fixed and in the end, it didn't help it.

unfortunatly, that didn't work either. It installed, asked me to restart, did so, and still nothing fixed. I've even tried re-installing .net framework 1.1 and 2.0, VB 2005 runtime files from microsoft, etc and still nothing.

There is a program called "Winternals" that basically restores a Win XP install back to working order. It is a self booting CD and it is used religiously at my job when a system restore does not work, this program will work about 95% of the time. There is also another program I downloaded recently from PCWorld called PE Builder. It is described as a Windows Recovery Program but I have not tested it yet. Hope this info helps.

Thanks for the information. I didn't knew about winternals.Will you just tell me more about this??

The name of the company that makes the software is Winternals and the program name is ERD Commander. Basically, if you boot up your system and get the "Blue Screen" and you have tested the hardware and lets say you replaced some bad memory, but not after it has corrupted some of the main parts of Windows, this util repairs the damaged files. It is not limited to somthing like a HW problem. In this case, some software corrupted a few files and this program more than likely will repair it.

Unfortunatly, the ERD Commander did not fix the issue. In fact, it said there was no issues. Now here is where it gets weird... it had a system restore function built into it that allowed accessing the system restore. It said there were NO system restore points. Ironically, I found that the Video Card drivers for my new video card actually fixed some games from not playing to actually play once more. So I'm going to try a repair install when I find an XP disk (I can't seem to find my own for some strange reason, and I don't know how an OEM Windows XP Pro disk for my HP laptop will work with my Retail XP Pro install with its own key I have).

Updating:
I got a repair install done finally with a SP2 Win XP disk. While I got it up and running, everything works except, the Windows Update. It seems that it says I have 83 required updates I need, but none of the 83 want to install. So what needs to be done to get it fixed?

start > run

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Or just use this file.

Attachments

• winupdate.zip
    178 bytes · Views: 646
It worked like a charm. System is back fully functional. Thanks!

I wanted to update this thread with info about why Windows Update will not work after a repair install of XP and that is because WU now uses a file that is not on the XP CD.
The latest version of Windows Update includes a file that was not available in the release version of Windows XP

KB943144 explains how to get updates to work again after a repair install of XP.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back