System Cuts Off 2 Sec. After Power-on

R

RedHotCoolBlue

I have just built a brand new system... Here's the problem: no sooner than I turn the system on, it shuts back down. I don't know what it is. I think it's my power supply or perhaps it's not getting enough juice from the surge protector strip. My previous system worked just fine with the same 300W power supply. Here are the "configs" on my newer system:

Chaintech 7VJL Apogee MB (KT333)
AMD 2100XP + OEM
512MB PNY DDR 2100
80 GB Western Digital HD
300W CompUSA Power Supply
Chieftec Dragon Chasis
Thermaltake Volcano 5 Heatsink/Fan
Arctic Silver 3 Thermal Paste

Thank you, in advance, for any advise you can give!

I had the same problem with my computer when I first built it. The problem with mine was the CPU Fan. The rpm monitor wire had to be unplugged, or else it would shut down like yours due to the rpm spiking or something when the power was turned on. Try unhooking, i think the wire is yellow, from your mobo, and see if that works. If not then you might want to look into a new power supply, 300W seems a little small for your system.

most of the new MBs have a feature built into them that requires the CPU fan to be monitored, and if there is a problem it shuts down. Make sure that you have the CPU fan plugged into the proper slot. If you are still having a problem consult your manual or contact their support department. You may try a different HSF. Good luck.

You could also try resetting the BIOS to (hopefully) turn off any CPU-fan checks.

if it is because of the hsf rpm then disable that in the bios....just make sure ur fan is working tho...

another thing could be that ur grounding our ur mobo somewhere...check ur standoffs too

Thanks For All Of Your Help...

It turned out to be my copper shim -- it was grounding out my cpu &/or board. So, needless to say, I chunked that thing!

Love, Peace & Chicken Grease!

Re: Thanks For All Of Your Help...

Originally posted by RedHotCoolBlue
It turned out to be my copper shim -- it was grounding out my cpu &/or board. So, needless to say, I chunked that thing!!

i thought a shim was a good thing to have... ?

All a shim does is help keep you from cracking your CPU's core when you put the heat sink on. So yes they are a good thing, but I've never used one and have yet to damage a core:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back