System Clock - Always Adjusting Itself???

A battery can make your bios/system clock slow but I'm not sure about making it fast. Any clock that runs on a battery should slow as the battery loses juice. Could it perhaps be getting to much juice and thus making it fast? If not could be something w/in windows messing w/ your system clock. Also since this is only when your system is already running that kinda does take the cmos batter out of the picture anyways. :confused:

Ok, first, the CMOS battery cannot and does not cause the clock to get slow. It either maintains the correct time or it doesn't. When the CMOS battery starts getting low the first problems you will notice are the system clock is not correct. The longer you wiat to change the battery the worse your problems get, like BSD on startup, random crashes and errors, as well as a whole host of wierd problems and gliches.

SO the very first thing you should check if you PC is suddenly needing to reset the time or you notice that your pc clock is way incorrect (more than 10 -15 min) you should change the battery. Then if the problem still exists look for other problems.

As posted a CMOS battery will last appr 10 years, but in my experience they really last about 5years. And I have had brand new batteries that didn't even last 1 year. Your milage may vary.

Maveric169 said:
Ok, first, the CMOS battery cannot and does not cause the clock to get slow. It either maintains the correct time or it doesn't. When the CMOS battery starts getting low the first problems you will notice are the system clock is not correct.
umm... if its not correct, and its not fast .. what is it? :p

You guys have got to be kidding. Who in this forum actually keeps the same MB for more than 6 months? Dead battery lmao.

A p200 PC at work recently stopped keeping track of the time so the secretary got me to look at it, from what I could tell, it was the battery causing the problem. It also wouldn't hold the CPU speed setting in the BIOS as well. After a while when it was booted up it would change back to 100Mhz in the CMOS. Doesn't really matter now since a new PC has been ordered.

sadly i've had the same mobo for over a yr .. looking to upgrade soon(ish) though i hope.

If my takes a crap on me then i will get a new one but there is no point if it still works. I might have to get a new one tho cause my dads g/f just upgraded to 64bit and she had a amd 2500 or 2600 aint sure and i unno if my mb supports it but i am sure it does.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back