System Clock - Always Adjusting Itself???

percy

OSNN Senior Addict
Hi, currently my system clock is 23 minutes advance even if I had changed a few minutes ago. It will accept the new time but after sometime, the time is wrong again. My time zone is eastern.
Thanks.

May be a long shot but you could possibly have a program thats updating your clock for you and it happens to be off.

Windows XP has a built in time updater, maybe for some reason that sin't working poperly, can try turning it of. Go to date time settings, click internet time tab and untick the box (or make sure its set properly)

I member this happen to me before...but i dont member what fixed it? I think I fixed it when i had to reinstall windows for some reason.

Pretty much agree with everyone :)

Make sure your clock is in the correct time zone, daylight savings are set right (if applicable of course), check if your clock is being sync'd to an online server.

Also the CMOS battery thing, although in all my years of owning all my computers, it's never a factor that's ever affected me, however I do know that it can play havoc if it does fault :)

There is a battery? Wow...i am really slow...i need to learn alot more about computers...i thought i knew alot but i guess not

TittleBitties said:
There is a battery? Wow...i am really slow...i need to learn alot more about computers...i thought i knew alot but i guess not
Yup :) If you can, pop open the side of your case (touch some metal objects before doing so, to de-static yourself) take a look at your motherboard, and you should spot a battery on their somewhere. Position varies from board to board, but it's on there somewhere :)

ooooo...Yeah I noticed that before but never really thought of it bein a battery. How long do they usally last?

I actually don't know, as I say, mine have never failed me.

Just google'd and found this:
Life time of a CMOS battery - The standard life time of a CMOS battery is around 10 Years, however this amount of time can change depending on the use and environment that the computer resides.
.. quite a while then :)

thats good...i have my computer on like 24/7 cept like atleast one weekend a month cause i go to my dads sometimes

Wouldn't the clock get slower not faster if the battery was dying?

You'd think it'd get slower, but that's more of an analog thing. Digitals just do weird things when the battery wears down.

thanks a lot for all the informations. I had unticked the autoupdate from the internet and will check the cmos battery.
good day.

TittleBitties said:
YEAH there is a battery lol. Get to PC World fast

The battery has nothing to do with it..........when it's plugged in and recieving AC. The battery is only meant to keep your BIOS settings in the event there is no AC power.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back