System cache and RAM

manokent63

OSNN Junior Addict
I recently upgraded my system RAM with a 128mb SDRAM module. The install went ok and when my system starts it now shows that I have 256mb of RAM.

I have not noticed an increase in speed. In fact my system boot seems a lot slower even after using bootvis. I have been told that my system cache may not be big enough to handle the extra memory and that there is no way to get around this other than a system or motherboard upgrade. Is this correct or is there a tweak that will increase the cache?

System info below. Forgive me..I am no techie and these are the basics.

HP Pavilion 8690
AMD Athlon 650mhz
256mb SDRAM
15GB HD
TNT2pro 32MB AGPx2
512kb level 2 cache built in

Regards.......Neil

hmm without putting a point on it;)

Ur P ROCESSOR IS 2 SLOWWWWW

with such a slow processor u won't c much diference. u should consider buying a faster 1 in the range of @ least 1.5 p4 (or amd equivilant) the rest of ur computer don't seem that bad though

Well chances are its not your ram that was slow.

Did you happen to check and see if your ram was the bottleneck on your computer before you upgraded.

If not then you should look into other possiblities.

Depends on what you mean with System Cache. There is cache on the CPU, L1 and L2. L1 is 32k or something and L2 is 256k or 512k mostly. Is it any of these? They can't be changed, just turned off.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back