system bottleneck....

Black-Syth

Comalies
I have a pretty good system *my specs are in my sig* and when i start up, and only when i start up it takes about 5 mins to start up, whereas my friend which has a much lesser system starts up instantly.... and he has a LOT more things to load than i do... what could the problem be?

What part of the startup process is it thats slow? before or after desktop appears?

I think you have more programs to start up. They may not be visible but they're probably there. Spyware maybe? Maybe you should defrag the drive?

You might have a problem with DHCP ( dynamic host control protocol)

It might be looking for an address to use and taking it's sweet time doing it.

Click Start....select run..and type cmd and then Enter. In the command prompt window type ipconfig.

Look for Ethernet adapter Local Area Network and write down the IP address there (probably a 169.254. . kind of number.
With the Subnet B mask of 255.255.0.0 (this part will fill-in automatically)

Now go back to Start...Settings ... Network Connections and right click on your local area network connection and select properties. Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click on the properties tab.
Here you will see Obtain Automatically and Use the following IP address. Choose the Use Following one and fill in the IP address you wrote down from the command prompt and click OK.

I hope this helps, it worked for me after all else failed.

Grym ( but no longer waiting) blayd

Another thing to try is Boot-Vis.exe
It's a MS tool that can tell you exactly what's taking so long to boot. I used it recent;y, and granted I didn't have a long boot time, but it got me from 35 secs down to 24 secs.

-JG

A quick way to check to see if it "is" DHCP or something else that is not being resolved is to use the " Event Viewer "

Easy way to get there is to search "event viewer " and then click on it.

Grym ( and finally about to get some sleep ) blayd

Thank you for your suggestions. I am positive he has more, or the same amount of things to load than i do. I gave him all of his programs, and he is one of those people that likes to clutter up his HD. I think you all should agree with me that with the computer i own this PC should not take this long to load up under any circumstances... the loading takes place after the desktop appears, yet all the icons (in the bottom-right corner) load extremely slow. Once again thanks, i hope these suggestions work....

Have you laoded the intel acceleration program? Also you culd try these things>

Correcting System Hang at Startup

If your system hangs about 2 or 3 minutes at startup, where you can't access the Start button or the Taskbar, it may be due to one specific service (Background Intelligent Transfer) running in the background. Microsoft put out a patch for this but
it didn't work for me. Here's what you do:

1. Click on Start/Run, type 'msconfig', then click 'OK'.
2. Go to the 'Services' tab, find the 'Background Intelligent Transfer' service, disable it, apply the changes & reboot.

Also if not on a network disable 'workstation' at the same place as above.

In Reply To Hipster Doofus:

Nope... didnt work, in fact i think it might have just slowed it down....:confused:

The suggestion Grymblayd posted is what I did to fix my extensive bootup problem. Basically he is saying to use a static IP instead of letting Windows assign it. I just arbitrarily picked the IP though.

BTW: Your slow bootup is more likely because you're using an Intel chip. You need to upgrade to an AMD.

Just kidding. I couldn't resist. (please no flames) :D :p

LOL ...my blood rose there for a second !

Grym ( and sensitive about Intel ) blayd

originally posted by scriptasylum
BTW: Your slow bootup is more likely because you're using an Intel chip. You need to upgrade to an AMD.

Just kidding. I couldn't resist. (please no flames) :D :p

fan boy :p

kiddin' ;)

seriously though... ive found Intels tend to boot quicker, load games and other programs into memory quicker although AMD takes the actual operating of the program/game to another level.

my p3 750mhz, 512mb sdr ram box booted about 1min quicker than my mates old athlon 1.4ghz, 512mb ddr ram.

one thing ive seen NOT recommended is disabling the BITS service... apparantly it can cause more problems in the future

i just bought a Radeon 9700pro... still need to install it, my card sucked... i know it wont help, but i couldnt resist posting it...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back