System / Active Partition

DwarfData

OSNN Addict
Hi Guys,

We've recent bought several Dell servers and built them using Windows Server 2008. Not realising, the machines were rolled into production with a small partition on them originally created by Dell. This partition is showing as the Active System Partition and is FAT32.

We've rolled out Microsoft Data Protection Manager 2007 as part of our backup solution, which is working fine apart from the fact it can not backup the System State on the Windows 2008 servers. This ability was added in the last 'Feature Pack' but, although available, doesn't work on these new servers.

I've now identified the problem with DPM is because of the FAT32 Active System partitions.

Does anyone know of a reliable, safe way of changing the Active System partition so I can remove the FAT32 from the System State backup.

Cheers

DD

Last edited:
convert x: /fs:ntfs - this might allow you do issue the command from within the server - if not do it from boot disk/safe mode

Hi Carpo,

Thanks. But I actually wish to change the Active System partition to the partition on which we installed the OS rather than convert the Dell partition to NTFS.

DD

Did you install the OS or is this the way it came from Dell? I would be

Using the Dell Build and Update Utility will create a FAT32 partition while BUU does its job, but once Windows Setup starts (following the file copy on the next restart) it will convert the partition from FAT32 to NTFS automatically.

Did you use BUU? Did you select the proper OS from the selection menu within BUU?

We didn't use the BUU. We installed Windows 2008 directly from the Windows CD.

I would recommend using BUU in the future. It will load all of the drivers needed including any RAID controllers. It will automate the installation of Windows. Makes life easy.

I have no solution for your current situation. I don't trust utilities to make changes to system partitions.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back