Sysprep Windows XP

D

Dick

I would really appreciate some help to get started with Sysprep. Some one - please give me a brief overview of how to install & run Sysprep before using Ghost to do clones images. I'm having a hard time trying to comprehend Microsofts directions.

Best regards, Dick

If you are making a backup of your computer (i.e. your home PC or notebook) and are not using Active Directory, you don't need Sysprep. To put it into a nutshell, Sysprep is a program designed to remove, change, and reconfigure SIDs on Windows 2000/XP machines which are connected to Active Directory. If all you are doing is making a backup of your PC in case of a crash, you don't need to use Sysprep, or any SID modifier.

I would actually recommend Drive Image 2002 over Ghost. It has an easier user interface.

Hi Reg,

Thanks for the reply. I am using Ghost to make a second hard drive my system drive while the original drive will become an inactive backup. Ghost works fine for me so I don't want to buy additional software just because it's easier to use.

According to Maxtor (2nd drive) and Norton, I have to use Sysprep to make the differences in my hard drives compatible (bios, drivers for PCI adapter card & the drive itself). Based on what I'm seeing (2nd drive is sensitive to even minor changes) this makes sense to me.

I've read Microsofts propaganda on what Sysprep is. What I want to know is the very short course to use it for a home computer. 98% of Microsofts instructions deal with networks & other super geek crap that I don't understand nor need for my purpose.

If you can just tell me how to install & use Sysprep, I would very much appreciate it.

Best regards, Dick

Like I said in my earlier post, you don't need to worry about Sysprep. Its functions do not apply to people who are making clones of their drives for backup purposes. It has nothing to do with your bios, drivers, system PCI devices, etc. When they mean compatible, they are talking about for people who want to make images of one machine and then use that image on either a non-similar configuration machine (such as you have an HP and a Compaq computer and you want to copy the HD contents of the HP to the Compaq computer) or if you are doing multicasting (copying a HD of one machine to several similar machines over a network... more specifically over Active Directory domains). Since you are not doing either of those, you don't need to use Sysprep.

Hi Reg,

Thanks again for your help.

Reg, I don't mean to sound like "I'm biting the hand that's helping me" - I'm only trying to understand. Isn't my situation like the scenario you refer to "when one is trying to copy the hard drive contents of one computer to a different computer"?

Both drives are, of course, in the same computer but they are quite different from a hardware & configuration point of view - like two differnt computers. And I do intend to "copy" the entire contents of one hard drive to the other - not just "image" them.

Given this situation, does your point of view still apply?

Best regards, Dick

Ok:

If you plan to use the SAME PC, SAME PC, SAME PC, with either HD's you DO NOT need to use Sysprep. You ONLY need to use Sysprep if you are planning to use the HDs in DIFFERENT, DIFFERENT, DIFFERENT, PCs!

Imaging = Copying the entire contents of one drive to the next.

Hi Reg,

Thanks again.

OK, OK, OK! It couldn't be any clearer or more emphatic than that.

Best regards, Dick

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back