Synthetic Mark!

Krux

Nissan Powered
Found an Interesting article showing how "synthetic" 3Dmark is, and how you shouldn't base a computers "goodness" off of it (I know goodness isn't a word but ehhh) putting a PII 350 against a P4 2.8 and having it score higher in 3dmark.

All benchmarks were performed with the Radeon 9700 Pro card, unless indicated otherwise. The desktop was set to a resolution of 1024x768x32bpp with a 75 Hz refresh rate. V-sync was disabled at all times, and all benchmarks were repeated at least three times and averaged.

FULL STORY

I expect Sazar to get a big kick out of this the most but it’s good for anyone looking to by a new video card of processor and basing that purchase off a 3dmark score ;)

Originally posted by Krux
Found an Interesting article showing how "synthetic" 3Dmark is, and how you shouldn't base a computers "goodness" off of it (I know goodness isn't a word but ehhh) putting a PII 350 against a P4 2.8 and having it score higher in 3dmark.

FULL STORY

I expect Sazar to get a big kick out of this the most but it’s good for anyone looking to by a new video card of processor and basing that purchase off a 3dmark score ;)

yah I did get a kick out of it :)

3dmark03 has always been positioned as a gpu benchmark... even 3dmark2001 was the same... to say it is a SYSTEM benchmark fails to give justice to the intentions... remember pcmark ? there is a reason for that to be there...

besides.. the fact that gunmetal is now being positioned as a dx9 benchmark really makes the article a little on the looney side :)

/me decides to breakout quake 1... add a really long register to it and call it a dx9 benchmark...

wooohoooo... now I too have a dx9 game and dx9 benchmark :D

yipee... I am so l33t...

back on topic..

http://futuremark.com/companyinfo/3dmark03_whitepaper.pdf

read the conclusion.. and consider what ace's says with a pinch of salt... :)

there is a very good reason I tend to only read reviews from beyond3d... or by sean pelltier nowadays... for information... the others I read for a laugh... :)

and this one falls into that category...

(gunmetal dx9 ?

:D )

Hey they where just going off what the gunmetal dev team says it is :)

adding the conclusion of 3dmark03 white paper so that perhaps one of the 'experts' at aces can have a read :)

As with previous versions, 3DMark03 scores will initially range between a 1000 and 5000 3DMarks. They are
scaled such that an entry-level system will score approximately 1000 and a high-end system, at the time of
3DMark03 product release, will score approximately 5000. An entry-level system is approximately one with a
DirectX 8 graphics card and a CPU corresponding to 1 GHz. A high-end system roughly has a DirectX 9
graphics card and a CPU corresponding to 3 GHz. Of course, with time, the high scores are expected to keep
increasing. For example, for 3DMark2001 the best score immediately after the launch was close 5000, and
today’s high scores are over 20,000 3DMarks.

Each of four game tests generates a frame-rate (in frames per second) that is used to calculate the overall
score. The formula for calculating the overall 3DMark03 score is:
3DMark03 score = (Game Test 1 frame-rate x 7.3) +
(Game Test 2 frame-rate x 37) +
(Game Test 3 frame-rate x 47.1) +
(Game Test 4 frame-rate x 38.7)

This formula has been obtained by running the benchmark on a number of high-end systems. The results for
each system are weighted such that game test 4 gives 20% of the total score and game tests 1, 2 and 3 are
equally weighted to give the remaining 80%. Hence, game test 1, 2 and 3 each give 26.6% of the total score.
The weights are averaged across all the systems used to generate the weights in the formula. Note that this
weighting can be very different on low-end systems.
In 3DMark03, we have separated the measuring of CPU performance into a separate test and score. This score
has a different range than the 3DMark score, in order to prevent confusion between these two total scores. It is
balanced to give a CPU Score of 500 to high-end systems at launch time. The formula for calculating the CPU
score is:

CPU score = (CPU Test 1 frame-rate x 4.6) +
(CPU Test 2 frame-rate x 27.5)

This formula is obtained using the same approach, with the two game tests weighted so that each contributes
50% to the final score.
The table below shows sample scores on three PC configurations. Two systems have the same graphics card,
and two have the same CPU. Note that the CPU score rises significantly for the more powerful CPU. The overall
3DMark score is less affected by the CPU, but depends more on the graphics card.

Conclusion

Over the last four years, 3DMark has become a trusted standard in 3D graphics benchmarking. Futuremark’s
latest version, 3DMark03, continues the tradition of providing an easy-to-use tool for benchmarking nextgeneration
3D graphics technology. This time, powered by the latest DirectX 9 features and supporting graphics
hardware, we showcase 3D graphics likely to be seen over the next year and a half. More importantly we provide
a neutral and transparent benchmarking tool to allow the user to evaluate the capabilities of the latest hardware.
We have added new functionality, such as the 3D sound test, a set of new feature tests and much-improved
image quality tools, to allow the user to isolate performance of key parts of 3D graphics usage. As graphics
hardware becomes more powerful, especially with new sophisticated shader support, stunning 3D graphics will
become accessible to more applications. We believe 3DMark03 will serve as a highly dependable tool for the
benchmarking professional in this new environment.

the table is coming out garbled so I did not attach it...

but as has been shown... futuremark is not positioning their benchmark as a test of OVERALL GAMING PERFORMANCE.. but rather the 3d processor...

I just wish some of these reviewers or whatever they want to call themselves actually READ the material out there instead of putting out erroneous and misleading information :rolleyes:

FULL STORY

Why, is it because ATI "Rules the Roost...?":D

Re: Re: Synthetic Mark!

Originally posted by SnookBooger
Why, is it because ATI "Rules the Roost...?":D

:)

not quite...

its because ati has superior hardware @ the moment...

I was more intrested in the CPU aspect of it..... but I guess you got something else out of it for all im concerned Nvidia and Ati can go to H3LL 3DFX FOREVER!!!

I was more intrested in the CPU aspect of it..... but I guess you got something else out of it for all im concerned Nvidia and Ati can go to H3LL 3DFX FOREVER!!!

the problem is 3dmark03 is not very cpu dependent at all... it is basically dependent on the gpu more than anything else..

I know I was going through the PDF I just thought it was funny so I posted it for chits and giggles

I know I was going through the PDF I just thought it was funny so I posted it for chits and giggles

whats a chit ?

im at work cant toke it up here sheesh not that I do that anyways!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back