syncing folders between xp and vista

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
i know xp has power toys for this but i cant see anything for vista could anyone help me find a tool that will sync folders on vista to my laptop (backup)

Thanks

There is a synctoy for Vista
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...54-C975-4814-9649-CCE41AF06EB7&displaylang=en

I think this is what you are referring to as it was a powertoy for XP

I won't go too much into other recommendations as you mention it as a powertoy but I use something called KLS backup which does a bit more work than a simple sync.
If it is a case of a simple sync, then I use the Synctoy app.

Hope this helps!

I wish there was a way to sync without having to share a folder (over a network)

I don't like the idea of having to share an entire documents folder.
Nevermind!

And before anyone starts, I'm sure there could be ways of in-built security of the application to sync itself to temp share a folder, sync and remove a share without being too obvious. For instance, you can file transfer via remote administrator and logmein without sharing a folder, so why not implement the same technology in sync tools too?

Just my thoughts!

I wish there was a way to sync without having to share a folder (over a network)

I don't like the idea of having to share an entire documents folder.
Nevermind!

And before anyone starts, I'm sure there could be ways of in-built security of the application to sync itself to temp share a folder, sync and remove a share without being too obvious. For instance, you can file transfer via remote administrator and logmein without sharing a folder, so why not implement the same technology in sync tools too?

Just my thoughts!
Sure it's possible in Windows.

Use the built-in commands for doing this in a batch file:

See the command
NET SHARE /?
on how to setup a sharename.

This will make a sharename on your computer and
after it's been sync'd you can use:
NET SHARE sharename /DELETE
to remove it.

Set up a schedule to make this drive just before the sync is due to happen then use whatever sync software you like and afterwards delete it automatically by say another scheduled task. This way the share only exists for a limited time and therefore impossible to hack into.

P.S.
Are you aware that your C: drive is permanently shared using the hidden sharename of C$ ? ;-)

not here it isnt - one of the first things i turn off :D

Thanks. I just wanted to know...

-edit-

mmm, after applying the regtweak I immediately was cut of from my NAS server, even without rebooting... so it does work, just a little too well for me...

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back