Synchronised audio over two PC's?

smoothyuk

OSNN Junior Addict
I've been trying to get my head around supplying audio to two different rooms without running any wires. I have a desktop PC in the basement and a laptop connected to the stereo in the living room. The machines are networked and share folders so as I have a party coming up where the guests will be spread around the place I wanted a simple solution to playing the same music throughout the house. Both rooms are in earshot of each other I can't really have any delay going on or it's gonna sound awful, I've tried broadcasting over lan with Tonecast but that's giving a good second or so lag on the receiving end.

Basically my music folders are shared so all I need is a way to sync a media player on both machines, I mostly use winamp v5 for playback but I haven't come across any plug-in that attempts to meet my needs here, if there's any other player out there with some sort of networking synchronisation built in I'll very happily give it a whirl. Any suggestions?

Thanks. :)

if you had iTunes and an AirTunes thinger then you could stick them anywhere you had speakers. There is a bit of lag in the devices though, but the lag should be roughly the same, though I dont know if you can play to two different units at the same time

Geffy said:
if you had iTunes and an AirTunes thinger then you could stick them anywhere you had speakers. There is a bit of lag in the devices though, but the lag should be roughly the same, though I dont know if you can play to two different units at the same time

I just looked Airtunes Express up, a neat idea but since I just moved house (the party is a house warming thing) I wasn't looking to buy any extra hardware for this one time event, have enough cash flying out the window buying furniture this month. *shudder*

I'll keep it in mind down the road though, god knows I can't resist blowing money on gadgets.

Setup a Winamp server on the source PC, tune in with your lappie?

I use SPDIF optical out from my PC directly to my stereo, no lag.

Steevo said:
Setup a Winamp server on the source PC, tune in with your lappie?

I use SPDIF optical out from my PC directly to my stereo, no lag.

Ok I tried the shoutcast route (that thing's not half as user friendly as it should be!) and I'm still stuck with delay between the server and client output, I think to get things going well using broadcasting I would have to have three computers networked, the server without speakers, and the desktop/laptop both taking the same delay on playback, although this isn't an option as I'm without a third machine. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back