Sync'ed Folders, New Profile, Files are gone before sync?

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,
I am in a really tough bind here at one of my clients. We recently performed a migration of all of the computers from one domain to another. Unfortunately in this process this definitely causes issues with users who had their "My Documents" folder synchronized with their home folders.
So far on 2 users I've experienced this problem. What happens is I remove them from the old (non-existent) domain. I then add the computer to the new domain. I login as the administrator, make their accounts local administrator, and then attempt to copy their Favorites, My Documents, and Desktop from their old profile (username) to their new profile (typically username.DOMAIN, since the username was the same).
For users who previously synchronized their files, they do not have a My Documents folder. I've done a search for *.doc files that people have needed in the past, and have not been able to find anything. I decided to check the Recent Documents area. In there, I can see a bunch of documents including some of the ones I'm looking for. The document I need states that it's shortcut is pointing to where their home folder was in a folder there... however it's not there. I believe this because the computers were not able to synchronize as they were working offline on the files before going back online....
Can someone please tell me how I can possibly get the files back? This is of the utmost importance for me, above any other question I've ever asked.
Thanks!

Just shooting in the dark here, but if the files don't exist on the local PC I would think Offline Files and Folders was actually turned off. In that scenario, they would have a physical My Documents folder that is viewable to the user, but it is more of a front end and the files are actually somewhere else.

I know you said you have searched the PC's, but have you searched the old servers? Looked at the paths were the old home directories were?

Just shooting in the dark here, but if the files don't exist on the local PC I would think Offline Files and Folders was actually turned off. In that scenario, they would have a physical My Documents folder that is viewable to the user, but it is more of a front end and the files are actually somewhere else.

I know you said you have searched the PC's, but have you searched the old servers? Looked at the paths were the old home directories were?

Yep yep, we're still using the old server's as the user's home directories... the only changes now are 1) the old servers are not hosting the domain, 2) the users are on the new domain, as well as the old servers, and 3) they're not domain controllers anymore.

I checked their remote locations initially for the files and have not been able to find anything. Furthermore, if you look under recent documents, I was able to see quite a few of the files shortcuts there, and where they would point to. I was able to see specifically what folder the file should have been in, and then was able to confirm that the file is not there.

Also, on the user's old profile, for those who were using the folder redirection, they did not have a "My Documents" folder, believed to be because that is the folder that was being re-directed... no local copy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back