SymsetSymwithAddr64, MS Office restarts computer

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Weird issues!!! For the past week or so, whenever I would either open MS Word 2003, or try to do something in it, my computer would just up and restart automatically. When the computer returns to Windows, before I login, I get this error message:

Code:
savedump.exe
The procedure entry point in SymsetSymWithAddr64 could not be located in the dynamic link library DBGHelp.dll

I googled the error, and they had me replace the DNGHelp.dll file... The one that I downloaded was the same version as the one in my C:\Windows\system32 folder. Now searching on my computer, the most recently updated dbghelp.dll file was the one in my STEAM Directory... doesn't make much sense, but I replaced that one with my previous one and my computer still restarts.

Unfortunately there are no error messages in my system log, so I can't work off of that. Any ideas how I might be able to fix this???

Last edited:
A few hits on Google point to a sfc /scannow doing the trick -

Pop in your XP CD, go to Start, Run - sfc /scannow and hit ENTER

Reboot and see what happens after that.

No go! I tried doing that, however NUMEROUS times it kept asking me for a CD, and my slipstreamed SP2 CD, and my stock XP CD just wouldn't work, I had to keep clicking cancel until it ended. Restarted and I still have the same problem...

Oh, and I already tried an uninstall and reinstall, at least like last week, but nothing! :(

Maybe Windows is looking in the wrong place for the CD.

Start up regedit then navigate to this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

In the right-side pane you want to look at: SourcePath

Make sure that points to your CD/DVD drive letter and not your hard disk.

Zombie,

Good find, however that didn't resolve my problem. I changed it to E:\, however a bit later I started getting the same messages as previous.

Any other ideas?

Could try copying the i386 folder from the CD to your drive then point sourcepath to it.

Scroll down on this Scannow SFC page to see how.

Blast! I read that guide from front to back, made all the changes required to make sure everything was going to the right place, copied my I386 directory from my CD, and I'm still getting my popup messages. This is horrible that I can't even use MS Office 2003!

I guess I'm just going to try doing a repair of Windows, and if that doesn't work... might be high time to just blow everything away. :( Now I need another larger hard drive more than ever!

No go! I tried doing that, however NUMEROUS times it kept asking me for a CD, and my slipstreamed SP2 CD, and my stock XP CD just wouldn't work, I had to keep clicking cancel until it ended. Restarted and I still have the same problem...

Oh, and I already tried an uninstall and reinstall, at least like last week, but nothing! :(

Yep already tried that. ;)

Here's something strange... there is absolutely no dllcache directories on my computer what so ever... would that cause the problem? I searched my hard drive for *dllcache*, with hidden system files & folders included... nada.

A search would not find the dllcache folder as it is a protected operating system folder. You would need to go into folder options and untick box that says "Hide protected operating system folders (recommneded). Then you will find the folder (if present) in the system32 folder.

Can you take a look at the system, and application log for relevant errors just before, or just after those ASR reboots?

A search would not find the dllcache folder as it is a protected operating system folder. You would need to go into folder options and untick box that says "Hide protected operating system folders (recommneded). Then you will find the folder (if present) in the system32 folder.

Nope, still no DLLCache.

And Shakes, there are no errors before & after the event occurs.

Did you also check "show hidden files and folders"?

You have to set both of them.

I would also like to report, that when I try to print anything from my computer, doesn't matter where, notepad, Mozilla Firefox, IE, my computer restarts. When it comes back to Windows, it doesn't come back with the same error message as when it restarts from MS Office. I've scanned my error logs for anything, but I'm getting absolutely nothing. :(

Have you disabled auto restart so you can see the error message causing the restart?

Windows key + pause/break will bring up system properties or right-click My Computer icon > properties.

From there you click on advanced tab then in the Startup and Recovery section click on Setting. In the section named System failure uncheck box in front of Automatically restart.

Actually Zombie,

I think I have this fixed!!! I was discussing with my friend about my problem, and he thought it was weird that my print spooler could be so messed up. To further diagnose the problem, I was going to try and print using the Microsoft Image Document Writer ... thing... type... thing. I printed to that no problem.

I then decided I was going to use the driver for my HP Laserjet 1100 (MS), rather than the one without (MS). That printed. I deleted my HP Laserjet 1100 driver, opened MS Word 2003. I opened up Envelope and Mailings applett, and so far it didn't restart. I just was able to print that, and everything was successful.

So now I just wasted 5 DVD's backing some stuff up... when I fixed the problem. A part of me thinks i may want to go all the way with this, but the other part of me thinks that I may be testing fate here and should leave the computer running as it is...

Blah!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back