Symantec Releases Beta Version of Spyware Solution

L

Lee

Symantec Releases Beta Version of Spyware Solution

Symantec Corp., a provider of security software solutions, yesterday released the public beta version of its 'Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2005 AntiSpyware Edition', which provides protection from spyware and adware.

According to the company, the beta version is being designed to provide real-time detection and automatic removal of spyware from users' computers and prevent new spyware risks from impacting the PC in the future. In addition to spyware protection, Symantec's NIS 2005 AntiSpyware Edition will continue to include intrusion prevention, firewall, privacy protection, virus protection, spam filtering, and content filtering features.

The security solution is being designed to support the Microsoft Windows 2000/XP operating systems along with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or above and is scheduled to be available from the second quarter of the year for an estimated retail price of US$79.95.

Read More & Source

DO NOT PURCHASE THIS.

Symantec does not produce competent spyware removal tools, they released a lot of different standalone removal tools, none of which actually work. I also know one person who paid $40 for support from Symantec, and they emailed them a list of free spyware removal tools. After complaining they did receive their money back, but that is besides the point. I know the author of one of the programs that was emailed to the user, here is the actual email:

Hi,

Please follow the instructions given below to delete the Adware from your computer

Using Ad Aware Se:

Once you click on this link www.tinyurl.com/467ls you will get File download dialog box

Click on the button Save to save the file.
Save it on the desktop.
After the download is complete click on the button Open
Now you will see Ad Aware Personal Se window, here click on the button Next
Accept the License Agreement and click on Next
Click on Next (do not change the destination folder location)
Place a dot next to “Anyone who uses this computer” and click on Next
You will now be ready to install, now click on Finish.
Ad Aware will perform update and scan the computer
After the scan is complete click on Next
Click on Scan Summary tab on the top, this will list all the Adware families, place check mark on all the Adwares and click on Next
On the prompt, click on OK.
Using Spybot Search and Destroy:

Once you click on this link www.tinyurl.com/6hddx you will get File download dialog box

Click on the button Run
After the download is complete click on the button Run again
Select English and click on OK
Now you will see Spybot setup screen window, here click on the button Next
Accept the License Agreement and click on Next
Click on Next (do not change the destination folder location)
Remove all the check marks and click on Next unless you see the Install button
You will now be ready to install, now place a check mark to Run Spybot and click on Finish.
Click on the button “Create Registry Backup”, click on Next and again click on “Search for Updates” Spybot will perform
After the scan is complete click on Check for Problems after the scan is complete place check mark on all the items and click on “Fix Selected items”
In the confirmation box click on Yes
It will give the number of items fixed, click on OK. You will see a green colored check mark placed next to these items. It states that the items are fixed.
Close the window.
Using Trojan Remover:

Once you click on this link http://tinyurl.com/5obo3 you will get File download dialog box

Click on the button Open
After the download is complete trust the certificate click on Yes, then accept License Agreement and click on Next
Do not change the destination folder location and click on Next unless you see the Install button
After installation is complete, click on Next and Finish.
You will see the Trojan Remove shortcut icon on the Desktop, open it and click on Continue
After Trojan Remove is opened click on Scan to scan the computer. (Note: While running this Trojan Remover disable Norton Antivirus)
Place a dot next to “Prevent this program from running by removing its reference” and click on OK.
In the confirmation dialog box click on Yes and continue; after the entire scan is complete the computer will restart.
This will remove all the Trojan, Adwares and Spywares from your computer. If they are still left on your computer, scan using in safe mode. You may run this thrice, and then uninstall Trojan Remover, Spybot and Ad Aware from Add/Remove programs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you,

For,

Symantec Technical Support.

Note: This is an automated e-mail support; please do not reply to this email. If you need any further help please call us back 877-832-2811.

Stay away from ALL Symantec products.

j79zlr said:
DO NOT PURCHASE THIS.
I also know one person who paid $40 for support from Symantec, and they emailed them a list of free spyware removal tools.

that goes in the hall of fame.../me gonna repeat this story!

Spybot
Ad-Aware
Cwshredder
AVG
Hijack-this
LSPfix

Knoppix for a few.

lol thats just sad j79zlr did he/she try to sue?

Well I use symantec NIS2005, I actually fixed a problem they could not fix, they didn't even give me credit so with respect to j79zlr post the user should milk em of some monies back.

Very bad on symantec's credibility, moved down a notch or 10.

They didn't have to sue, they called the number at the bottom of the email, and after a few days received a refund, but how many didn't even bother? Besides the fact that their products become worse with the day, now they are selling snake oil.

I still like my NSW 03'

It's nice for cleaning the registry and a few other things.

rep points for j79zlr.providing some fantastic reading

US$79.95 for this WOW! thats crazy

Free download if you want to sign up here

A monster 33.5 MB!<== I have found out why this figure is monter sized, it also contains NIS2005 and NAV2005. :down:

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This Beta is available for Windows 2000 and Windows XP only. This beta will expire on June 1st.[/font]

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back