switching a motherboard hard drive issues

iceman7311

OSNN Senior Addict
hi i am ordering a a8n sli mobo because my old hp computers spu got burnt out

i was wondering if i would have to reinstal windows to use my old hard drive with the new motherboard ?

ne help would be appriated

if its 2k/xp/2k3 you will need at the very east to perform a repair install. THough I would recommend a full clean install for such a major change in hardware.

what is a repair install? and could i get away without doing any reinstalling at all b/c then i would have to spend money on buying xp again and i dont have that much $

repair install esentialy reinstalls windows and resets it to basic "genric" drivers that work with the new board -without loosing any other settings ( you will need to run windows update and load the device drivers ofcourse) bt other than that its intact.

You cant not do atleast this if you want to use the computer after changing the mainboard as windows just plain wont boot.

If your old windows is Windows XP and it came with the HP system you may not be able to install it with a new MB. As of March 1 2005 all Bios specific copies of windows will not be able to activate XP on a new MB unless the MB comes from the same maker as the original. There is a change to the windows OEM liscencing agreement. Info at bottom under OEM.

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

Check into this with HP before you spend the money on a new MB. You may need to buy a new consumer copy of windows if you go with a generic replacement MB.

As for getting away without reinstalling. If the new MB uses the same chipset type as the old one (VIA, NF, SIS) you may get by without a reinstall. I do it regularly. If you change MB chipset manufacturers you will probably have to do a reinstall.

how do u do that repair install tht lordofla was taliing about?
and while i am talking to u all if i was running a an8 sli with 1 6600gt would it be better to use a 20 pin in the power socket or would it be better to us a 20 to 24 pin addapter(i have heard that these are bad for some setups but these were with 6800 gt's and ultras)( in case u dont know the 660gt does not come with a on card power socket like the 6800 and above have) my current power supply is a 450w. 20 pin with 20 a. running throught the 12 v power rail
i would really rather not have to buy a new 24 pin power supply this new computer is already putting me in debt

Last edited:
Set the bios to boot from CD.
Insert the windows CD.
Boot.
As you answer the prompts it will ask you if you want to repair the install twice say no the first time and yes the second time.

what if it is a hp hard drive and i dont have the actuall windows cd i just have the recovery disk from hp

then you have a problem.. or you need to buy xp pro from your favourite retailer. or a new pc... which ever takes your fancy.

because home is not really suited to being used for networking/internet purposes. If you dont use peer-2-peer apps and you dont have a network in your house you'll probably be okay with it however its not really a recommended choice from my point of view.

iceman7311 said:
what is a repair install? and could i get away without doing any reinstalling at all b/c then i would have to spend money on buying xp again and i dont have that much $

You don't have to buy xp again unless it is o.e.m. for your dead computer.

Do a repair install, then slipstream sp2 burn it, then save all your vital stuff to another or even a few cd's then do a clean format with your slipstreamed disk.

k thanx can u all look at the other question about the power supplies plz
i know that there r many othere forums ABOUT BUT I AM STILL NOT CLEAR WHAT THE BEST THING TO DO WOULD BE FOR MY SETUP
sry bout the caps

Lee said:
You don't have to buy xp again unless it is o.e.m. for your dead computer.

Do a repair install, then slipstream sp2 burn it, then save all your vital stuff to another or even a few cd's then do a clean format with your slipstreamed disk.
how do u slipstream something?
and would i be able to do this with the computer for the hard drive not working?

and do u all know if windows 64 bit edition is still free? and if so where could i get it?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back