switching a motherboard hard drive issues

I just did this recently when i went from a VIA based Athlon 2.4 to an nVidia based Athlon64 pretty easily. Seeing as you don't have a currently working machine i guess it's a tad pointless but just in case you need it again or someone else needed info
1. Backed up as much as poss!
2. Booted old mobo into safe mode, then uninstalled anything that said VIA in the hardware list (IDE, AGP etc), then the most important bit - In the device manager go to View and then Show Hidden Devices, low and behold there's three more mobo related things lurking.
3. Swap the hardware and fire it up
4. Install new chipset drivers when asked
5. Grab a coffee and feel smug

huh maybe i coud borrow a friends computer so i could delete all of the drivers on the hdd

not possible again... you need a repair install or a clean install. youhave no other choice.

i got the motherboard put it all together and turn it on and i smell burnign and sure enough a chip down in between the two usb porrt had burnt out
the funny thing was i did not have those extra usb ports connected
so now i ahev to wait another week until i get a new one
so far i dont like asus :(

but on the plus side it still looked cool while it was dying

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back