Swaping MB....

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
So i have an emachine t5026. I really like this computer, but i just dont like pci. I was wondering if i would be able to switch out my MB for one with AGP? Here is the info for the pc

Specifications
CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 519
Chipset: Intel® 915GV chipset
Memory: 1gig Dual Channel DDR (i upgraded)
Hard Drive: 160GB Serial ATA 7200rpm, 8MB cache
Video: IATI 9250 256mb (i Upgraded)

I would like a nice Mb not toooo $$$ but something that will hold up! Ill do some searchin my self, but im not sure what to search for!!

Great thanks! And when i get a new video card, do i want agp or pcie? Doesnt pcie take memory away from the system?

Neither AGP or PCI-e based add in cards use system memory. Since agp is dead prices have been getting way out of line. Better to go PCI-e. You do realise you will have to buy a video card to get AGP or PCI-e right? You did not mention that in your original post. On board video usually uses shared RAM and is a slow PCI interface. A new onboard video will not buy you much improvement unless you buy a more expensive MB. You could find a MB with built in video that is faster than the 9250 but I'm not sure you'd be happy with it. What will the machine be used for?

Before you buy a MB make sure that the mounting holes will fit your emachine. Sometime emachines have weird foot prints.
Figure out if you have an ATX (4-5 pci slots) or microATX MB (only 2-3 pci slots).

Next look at where the holes are in your MB compared to where they are in the new one. If in doubt post links or photos and someone will help. Also look at the back panel of the PC. There should be a cutout for all the USB, paralle, ethernet, connectors. The new MB will come with an insert to match the MB that replaces the insert that came with the original MB.

Third make sure the power supply will handle an add in video card. Most off the shelf PC's have just enough capability for their original equipment.

Something not mentioned is that you will likely not be able to boot Windows unless you use a motherboard with the same chipset, so you better have a copy of XP sitting around.

Leejend I do realalize that in order to use pci-e i need a new card, which is what im goin for. Im wan to get my system "vista ready" Its just my video card isent "up to spec." I figure why not get a new MB and new video card agp (not anyonre) or pci-e. I do need to check those few issues you menioned as well, ill get back to you on that!

Deamliner77 i do have an xp home that i can make an oem/reatail for my reinstall!

Here is a link to where i got the pc and pics of the inners

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1286820&Tab=1&NoMapp=0

Let me know what i can do!!!!!1

Last edited by a moderator:
Well all you would need is a motherboard that supports the socket for your CPU, which I believe is LGA775. Other than that, everything else should fit since it will be coming from the same setup :)

This one looks decent and cost efficient - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131587

will this be ok

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131586
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135023&ATT=13-135-023&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch

has the pci-e x16 not just the x1

Last edited:
Both of those are fine, as I mentioned all you need is LGA775 - anything else is just fluff :D

Ok i ordered the Mb, now once i get everything set up, ill need to set up windows again? I have an xp disc, but is it possible to keep what i have??

there is a way to do it but I don't think it would be beneficial doing it. Plus reinstalling windows usually is not a bad thing.

I've done the MB swap a couple of times, but just because I have so much stuff on my primary machine it takes me 2 full weeks to recover it all.

Make sure you have a complete backup of all data especially software and media licences, keys etc before starting the changeover!

Since your HD is SATA you may need a boot floppy or boot CD. I'd advise slipstreaming an update to your Windows CDwith all drivers (nlite).

Make sure you actually have a windows CD, sometimes they only give you a repair CD or a hidden partition on your HD. Your new MB will have a Driver CD. The old emachine probably will not. You need to make backups of all your emachine MB drivers in case you have to go back to it.

Copy the contents of your new MB driver CD to a HD directory so it is conveneint for the new install.

No reinstall approach:
The key is to go into device manager on the old system and uninstall all the devices including what is under "System Devices" since that is all MB specific drivers.

Then you shut down, swap MB's and boot.

Windows will find and load most of your MB drivers but you may have to load things like video card and USB 2 drivers manually.

If all goes well you are done. If you feel the install did not go well, go back and do a clean windows install at any time (remembering to back up any new data first).

No reinstall approach:
The key is to go into device manager on the old system and uninstall all the devices including what is under "System Devices" since that is all MB specific drivers.

Then you shut down, swap MB's and boot.

Windows will find and load most of your MB drivers but you may have to load things like video card and USB 2 drivers manually.

If all goes well you are done. If you feel the install did not go well, go back and do a clean windows install at any time (remembering to back up any new data first).

how do i know which drivers to uninstall?

That's easy. All of them! You don't want any drivers left from the old MB.

No mater uninstall you get to do them one at a time. It doesn't take long.

Correct, do not shut down until they are all uninstalled. Then shutdown and swap MB. Do not reboot after uninstalling or windows will just put them all back in again.

That program would actually make it worse. It will try and keep the old drivers you are trying ot get rid of.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back