Swaping MB....

Psyborg

google addict
Political User
ok, so i'm not an expert, but here's my two cents-

when i used build comps myself, i used just install in the motherboard with processor and ram, on their own, nothing else, in the case, then power up. if all went well, then i could add video card, power up, then add modem, power up, etc, kinda like reverse process of elimination, until i had the chassis all put together.

above all- ground yourself (ESD prevention and what not).

the above info i felt i should just put in for the benefit of ppl that might be like yourself wanting to ready their rigs for vista, because not that many sites remember to warn about this kinda thing, and as you just pointed out, you have installed many mobos, so this happens to the best of us! ;)

your specific problem seems more related to PSU issues and airflow though, so perhaps reading through this might give you some ideas-

http://www.hardwareforum.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=296

What do you mean?
i think this is what he means-

http://www.xtremepccentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-339.html

mounting the motherboard in the case with the mounting screws (course, if you didnt use mounting screws and just screwed the motherboard to the case, then you would probably blow the board (info for the unaware again, sorry).

Last edited by a moderator:

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political User
I mounted the New Assus board with the same screws in the same spots as the old Mb, Whne i had to reinstall the old mb, i did the same, now my CPu is running warm (maybe i used too much compund???)!!!! So im pretty sure i didnt ground out the board

American Zombie

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
The CPU being warm only has to do with the way you mounted the heatsink. If it is running warmer then before with same heatsink then....

Something is wrong with the way the heatsink is mounted or you did not clean the heatsink and CPU good enough before remounting. Anytime you remove a heatsink you need to remove all paste or pad residue from both CPU and heatsink then reapply NEW paste or pad. Also, make sure you position the heatsink correctly when installing.

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political User
Ok i went to a local shop on my way home and they guy said the board was bad, and a reason why my cpu is running hot, is that when the board sparked and burned, it could have damaged my cpu.....

edit

seems my temp settled to about 57 C/ 137 F

Last edited:

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political User
there is a way to do it but I don't think it would be beneficial doing it. Plus reinstalling windows usually is not a bad thing.
Leegend, i was wondering if i partitioned my hard drive and installed a fresh windows on the partition under the new Mb, and then after transfered all my old info from the old windows xp? The deleted the older partition and consume to have my hard drive back?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hargadetocline