Swaping MB....

ok, so i'm not an expert, but here's my two cents-

when i used build comps myself, i used just install in the motherboard with processor and ram, on their own, nothing else, in the case, then power up. if all went well, then i could add video card, power up, then add modem, power up, etc, kinda like reverse process of elimination, until i had the chassis all put together.

above all- ground yourself (ESD prevention and what not).

the above info i felt i should just put in for the benefit of ppl that might be like yourself wanting to ready their rigs for vista, because not that many sites remember to warn about this kinda thing, and as you just pointed out, you have installed many mobos, so this happens to the best of us! ;)

your specific problem seems more related to PSU issues and airflow though, so perhaps reading through this might give you some ideas-

http://www.hardwareforum.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=296

What do you mean?

i think this is what he means-

http://www.xtremepccentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-339.html

mounting the motherboard in the case with the mounting screws (course, if you didnt use mounting screws and just screwed the motherboard to the case, then you would probably blow the board (info for the unaware again, sorry).

Last edited by a moderator:
I mounted the New Assus board with the same screws in the same spots as the old Mb, Whne i had to reinstall the old mb, i did the same, now my CPu is running warm (maybe i used too much compund???)!!!! So im pretty sure i didnt ground out the board

The CPU being warm only has to do with the way you mounted the heatsink. If it is running warmer then before with same heatsink then....

Something is wrong with the way the heatsink is mounted or you did not clean the heatsink and CPU good enough before remounting. Anytime you remove a heatsink you need to remove all paste or pad residue from both CPU and heatsink then reapply NEW paste or pad. Also, make sure you position the heatsink correctly when installing.

Ok i went to a local shop on my way home and they guy said the board was bad, and a reason why my cpu is running hot, is that when the board sparked and burned, it could have damaged my cpu.....

edit

seems my temp settled to about 57 C/ 137 F

Last edited:
there is a way to do it but I don't think it would be beneficial doing it. Plus reinstalling windows usually is not a bad thing.

Leegend, i was wondering if i partitioned my hard drive and installed a fresh windows on the partition under the new Mb, and then after transfered all my old info from the old windows xp? The deleted the older partition and consume to have my hard drive back?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back