Swapfile question?

Beginning

I'm Beginning Somehow...
Ok.... I have XP Pro installed and to date I always use a small partition @ the start of my slave drive for a set pagefile. about 3.5 gigs. I wonder if I dual boot Windows 7 and XP will I be able to use the same pagefile for Windows 7? Seeing as both Windows 7 and XP uses a pagefile, but they aren't running @ the same time?

Ok.... I have XP Pro installed and to date I always use a small partition @ the start of my slave drive for a set pagefile. about 3.5 gigs. I wonder if I dual boot Windows 7 and XP will I be able to use the same pagefile for Windows 7? Seeing as both Windows 7 and XP uses a pagefile, but they aren't running @ the same time?
ys, you can use the same pagefile, if you want your dumps when it crashes leave a small pagefile on the system volume of each os as as well

for paging the system will use the least used pagefile, for dumps it will use the system pagefile

Last edited:
Well thanks for the input perris... I posted this question on a few other boards and most everyone recommended me not to try it, it occurred to me that it may crash both XP & Windows 7. Not that reinstalling scares me it's just becoming a really job. :) So I didn't do it.. :) Call me chicken but that's the way it goes ... Cheers!!

Well thanks for the input perris... I posted this question on a few other boards and most everyone recommended me not to try it, it occurred to me that it may crash both XP & Windows 7. Not that reinstalling scares me it's just becoming a really job. :) So I didn't do it.. :) Call me chicken but that's the way it goes ... Cheers!!
absolutely no problem using the same pagefile, there is nothing the os sees from previous boot when you reboot

I have a question, would disabling the swapfile or fixing it to around 2gb be a good idea if you have 4gb or more of RAM?

disabling is a no-no. Setting a fixed size of 1.5x ram is usually sufficient.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back