svchost.exe *$##**!

T

ThesiS

What is svchost.exe? Why is it always hogging resources? Is it something that I've got to have running in the background, or is just one of things enabled by default that i can disable???????

i know for sure one of those has got to do something with internet connection. i now have 5 of them running. 3-system,1- network service, 1 local service. but they do not seem to take up a lot of resources.about 10mb mem usage. and almost none of cpu.

Windows Services.
%SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc /s
C:\WINDOWS\System32\

Any major service you have running will be running as a svchost.exe process.

and no, don't disable services, most of them are required in one way or another. there are a few you can safely disable, I think dealer hits on those in his tweaks encyc thread.

I got me 4 of em running.
Confused the heck outa me before i found services and saw that most of them, in effect, use the same exe file.
Seems a rather illogical and confusing way to do things, but it it all works, then so be it :)

well if u go to servises in control panel and dig around there. u'll see that they open differently like svchost.exe or svchost.exe - x,xx . some stuff like that. and each stands for something different. most of them are necessary though

I got bored one day and used taskmanager to kill one of the svchost.exe and immediatly a little window popped up in the middle of my screen informing me that I had 60 seconds to save any work in progress because windows was going to reboot:eek: because some service had stopped. So I say just leave those files alone.

What is SVCHOST.EXE?

Svchost.exe is just an easy name to say. What this means is that you have services running from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). The Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. There can be multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time.

Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and debugging.

Svchost.exe groups are identified in the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost

Each value under this key represents a separate Svchost group, and represents one instance of Svchost.exe. Each value is a REG_MULTI_SZ value and contains the services that run under that Svchost group. Each Svchost group can have more than one service_names extracted from the following registry key, whose Parameters key contains a ServiceDLL value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ service

If you go to Start --> Run and type command, you can find out what the svchost.exe files corrispond to.

(Windows XP) Once you have the command line up, type Tasklist /SVC.

Check the web page for me info ! click me !

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back