svchost.exe is hanging

• Thread starter PCandNetworking
  • Start date
P

PCandNetworking

On one of my XP Pro machines, the svchost.exe is using 99% of CPU!! If I login to Administrator, I am able to kill the process, but this is only a temporary fix. Once the machine is re-booted, the problem occurs once again. This is a SYSTEM process. What can I do to fix this??

Sorry to ask a silly question, but are you sure it's svchost and not system idle process?

Originally posted by allan
Sorry to ask a silly question, but are you sure it's svchost and not system idle process?

No, I'm sure it's not the system idle process. :rolleyes: That's ok though, I always asume the stupid things first also. ;)

Here's a screen shot just for verification though.

This system is a Gateway that we purchased a few months back, so I tried using the On-line Chat help on Gateway's site. The only thing they came up with is that they told me to run scan disk and defrag. :rolleyes: If this was 95/98/Me, I would believe that this would be the solution, but this is XP Pro for gods sake. I ran defrag for the hell of it, but no change. :( I may have to roll this sucker back to factory and re-install the applications.

GOT IT!

I couldn't do anymore with Remote Desktop to fix this problem, so I had to got to the site to fix it. I explored many options before I went, and I was down to 2.

#1) run Last Know Good Configuration

or

#2) run System Restore

Well, #1 was the solution. An easy fix, but spent alot of time trying to solve it. :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back