Suspend-to-ram questions

R

rbmcgee

Hi all,

Running WinXP Home, Intel D845PEBT2 board and USB wireless mouse/keyboard.

1) I inadvetently did not set STR (3) in the BIOS setting before loading XP. It is my understanding that this must be set before loading and cannot be invoked once the OS is installed. Is this true? Is there anyway around this issue short of nuke/repave after correctly setting the BIOS? Repair?

2) Can anybody verify that the keyboard/mouse can awake the computer from STR?

3) Are there any issues I'm not aware of?

TIA

That is a BIOS controlled function. It should work just fine. Just enable it.

I have changed mine back and forth a few times, if you right click My Computer>Properties
Hardware tab, then Device Manager
Click computer

is it says ACPI anywhere in that then it doesnt matter, the options in the BIOS are for APM not ACPI

If your computer goes into S3, everything other than your RAM should turn off, meaning that all your fans will turn off as well. If it's completely silent (usually with the power LED blinking) it means that your computer is in Suspend-to-RAM mode.

In the non-S3 standby mode, your fans will continue to spin. That's the way you can tell the difference.

And yes, you can wake up from Suspend-to-RAM by hitting the Spacebar usually.

windows is the BIOS's B!tch. windows does whatever the bios instructs it to do.:)

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, from the Intel website located here
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-002870-prd36.htm , the opposite seems to be true. Here is a quote from the 'how to enable STR section':
NOTE: The ACPI supported operating system during installation enumerates power management features based on the ACPI setting in the BIOS Setup program. The BIOS Setup program is user selectable for either S1 (POS) or S3 (STR). Do not change the ACPI suspend mode setting if the operating system has already been installed.
I'm still confused and need some clarification.

If you had the ACPI functions in your BIOS turned off when you installed, then you will need to reinstall or do a repair install for windows to recognize the change. This is because the ACPI settings that Windows uses is determined by the HAL, so if ACPI settings are off when you install, Windows will install a HAL that does not contain those functions. I know this from experience.
So I imagine that changing from STR1 to STR3 might be the same.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back