Suspected NHL gambling ring being investigated by NJ attorney General

Mastershakes

OSNN Veteran Addict
EDIT - Mods - don't know if this belongs in hard talk, please move if needed. /shakes

Worst part is, it embroils the Great One as well... sad day.

ESPN

Phoenix Coyotes coach Wayne Gretzky knew about a gambling ring involving his wife and assistant coach Rick Tocchet, law enforcement sources who cited state wiretaps told the Newark Star-Ledger.

The Star-Ledger reported in Thursday's editions that there is no evidence that Gretzky placed bets, but investigators are looking into whether his wife, Janet Jones, placed them for him.

Gretzky has said that he had no knowledge of the gambling ring.

"The reality is, I'm not involved, I wasn't involved and I'm not going to be involved," Gretzky said Tuesday. "Am I concerned for both of them? Sure, there's concern from me. I'm more worried about them than me."

Law enforcement officials told the New Jersey newspaper that Jones bet $500,000 in recent weeks, including $75,000 in Super Bowl wagers.

It appears NJ attorney general is going to proceed with charges against Toccett.

His response yesterday via his nouveau lawyer Marino:

Marino called the state's charges against his new client ''false and irresponsible.''

''Mr. Tocchet is one of the most well-respected men ever to play in the NHL, and he's respected for his integrity, his determination and his strength,'' the Newark-based lawyer said. ''We deeply regret the attorney general's precipitous charges and are appalled at the ensuing media frenzy.''

Now besides the occasional 20$ buy in for a poker game among friends, I've never really gambled. What are everybody's thoughts on this?

It is forbidden for players/coaches to bet on NHL games - but my thoughts are ... is this a witchhunt? Was there some bad blood between the Jersey troopers who are already sitting in jail, and the NHL crew?

Is it possible many other players were involved such as Recchi and Leclair (ex Habs) ?

As the story develops, will we see evidence that the Great one is betting via his wife?

I'm still too shocked, but desparately hope these boys didn't really do all this, or it's not as widespread as the media has painted it thus far.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've been following this story pretty closely at work. Crazy how they named it "Operation Slapshot", and have linked it to the New Jersey organized crime families...

Yeah dude, there is also talk of a link to Philly crime lords, but the authorities still havn't had anything solid yet.

I'm not so sure if the Philly crime lord thing will happen.

From what I understand, and I could be wrong, that was linked to something back in the early 90's about a known mobster sitting in Eric Lindross's seats while he was a Flyer. Apparently the mobster stated he didn't get them from Lindross, rather from a broker.

UPDATE

The Newark Star-Ledger reported Thursday morning that law enforcement sources told them that state wiretaps recorded Rick Tocchet and Wayne Gretzky allegedly discussing the multimillion dollar gambling operation before it was dismantled.

oh shizzle !

Uh oh.... :eek:

That really is a shame. I'd hate to see the Great One get tarnished :(

Likewise. I think he'll cooperate fully with the investigation.

An Olympic Gold medal repeat is in the works for Team Canada, led by the Great One. (not coaching, but he put the team together)

Let's hope this blows over by the time the Olympics are over.... but the way it looks now, it doesn't look great for the great one.

Never cared for Gretzky outside the rink. it goes to show no matter how great someone seems to be there will always be a darkside...

If this new info is found to be true, I lost ALL respect for the man. What a shame..:smoker:

Well, he never played for Detroit, so that is expected. LOL JK

We shall see how the story develops.... I hope he can save some face, paint the wife as a gambling junkie.

Teh Great One said:
"No way," Gretzky told the Globe when asked if he planned to give up his post. "If I had ever bet so much as a penny on sports I would call Bob Nicholson (president of Hockey Canada) and resign."

"If I did one thing that would embarrass Team Canada or the country or hockey I would resign," he said. "It didn't happen.

"If I bet on sports – I would never embarrass Team Canada or the country or hockey – I would phone (NHL commissioner) Gary Bettman and Bob Nicholson right now and say you know what, I resign, it's over, even if I made a $1 bet," Gretzky said.

SOURCE

Janet Jones said:
"At no time did I ever place a wager on my husband's behalf, period. Other than the occasional horse race, my husband does not bet on any sports," read the statement.

Lots of hedging going on.... I'll keep the thread updated for y'all who care. :)

Very daring comments by Gretzkey, let's hope they are genuine.

He may come out of this unscathed:

TSN

Associated Press said:
More details supporting Wayne Gretzky's contention that he had no prior knowledge of the alleged illegal gambling ring emerged Sunday.

According to a report from the Associated Press, a person with knowledge of the investigation confirmed that the wiretap conversation of Gretzky allegedly asking Rick Tocchet how his wife Janet Jones could avoid being named happened last Monday. That is the same day detectives showed up at Gretzky's home looking to speak to his wife.

It was a position reiterated by Gretzky's lawyer Ron Fujikawa today.

''Published reports that Wayne had spoken to Rick Tocchet about his concern for Janet prior to officers appearing at Wayne's house on Monday are completely ludicrous,'' said Gretzky's lawyer Ron Fujikawa. ''It's absolute balderdash.''

I just think it's silly, someone should get fired for this crap. A few days ago there was a "wire tap" proving he was, now there is a "wire tap" proving he wasn't. Almost not sure what to believe at this point :s

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back