Sun to fork out $1 billion for open-source firm MySQL

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Sun Microsystems will plunk down $1 billion to buy MySQL, the maker of a popular open-source database.
Sun said Wednesday that it will pay about $800 million in cash for MySQL's privately held stock and will assume about $200 million worth of options. MySQL CEO Marten Mickos will join Sun's senior executive team after the transaction closes.
The acquisition is a bold move for Sun, which has embraced open-source software and development practices in an effort to garner more revenue from its software business. Until now, it has sold support services for a competing open-source database, PostgreSQL.
Company executives said they will continue to support PostgreSQL and continue to partner with database giant Oracle.
MySQL, founded in 1995, is one of the most successful open-source companies. It's part of the popular combination of open-source development products referred to as LAMP, for Linux, Apache Web server, MySQL and the PHP development language, which is broadly used on the Internet and within companies.

Source:
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9851644-7.html

Wonder if its time to move - notice how they say "for now" they will support PGSQL - im happy with it though, and already people are on about moving away from MySQL if sun buys it

already posted in the front page :) :p

edit: thread moved to the news room

Last edited:
lol.. only because I was busy at work.. and pulled together a bunch of links to provide more info :)

hmmmm

Think that maybe i should move?

MySQL has been working for me no problem all these years, can't see why I would need to move.

Heeter

Sun "get" open source. I think this is a good thing, if a little unexpected :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back