Sun to fork out $1 billion for open-source firm MySQL

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Sun Microsystems will plunk down $1 billion to buy MySQL, the maker of a popular open-source database.
Sun said Wednesday that it will pay about $800 million in cash for MySQL's privately held stock and will assume about $200 million worth of options. MySQL CEO Marten Mickos will join Sun's senior executive team after the transaction closes.
The acquisition is a bold move for Sun, which has embraced open-source software and development practices in an effort to garner more revenue from its software business. Until now, it has sold support services for a competing open-source database, PostgreSQL.
Company executives said they will continue to support PostgreSQL and continue to partner with database giant Oracle.
MySQL, founded in 1995, is one of the most successful open-source companies. It's part of the popular combination of open-source development products referred to as LAMP, for Linux, Apache Web server, MySQL and the PHP development language, which is broadly used on the Internet and within companies.

Source:
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9851644-7.html

Wonder if its time to move - notice how they say "for now" they will support PGSQL - im happy with it though, and already people are on about moving away from MySQL if sun buys it

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Political Access
already posted in the front page :) :p

edit: thread moved to the news room

Last edited:

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Political Access
lol.. only because I was busy at work.. and pulled together a bunch of links to provide more info :)

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
hmmmm

Think that maybe i should move?

MySQL has been working for me no problem all these years, can't see why I would need to move.

Heeter

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Sun "get" open source. I think this is a good thing, if a little unexpected :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.
Terrahertz wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Yo fellas!
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Where are you buddy?
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey EP! All good with me, applying for Microsoft MVP right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by coming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier!
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
EP, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AntonioPR