Suggestions on my new PC

J

jkoXP

Just wonderng if this will be able to run HL2 and Doom III (I know the games aren't out yet, but a guesstamet) at max settings (1024x768 res)?

I want your suggestions on what else to get or more of.

Intel Pentium 4 (800 FSB) Motherboard Model D875PBZ
P4 3.2GHz 512k cache, 800MHz FSB
Crucial 512MB DDR 3200 (DDR 400)
Case - Antec Performance One w/ 330 TruePower PSU
Plextor DVD+- CD Burner
Radeon 9800 128

I haven't bought this yet, but I will be in a few weeks.

I would get an Asus P4C800 rather than an Intel board. Intel doesn't let you overclock. I wouldn't get a 3.2GHz, but rather a 3.0GHz if you look at the price difference. Same chip, 200MHz isn't worth $100 to me. A Radeon 9800 Pro like snook said would be better.

Originally posted by Eck
I would get an Asus P4C800 rather than an Intel board. Intel doesn't let you overclock. I wouldn't get a 3.2GHz, but rather a 3.0GHz if you look at the price difference. Same chip, 200MHz isn't worth $100 to me. A Radeon 9800 Pro like snook said would be better.

Also, you may want to up the anty on the PSU. I am not sure 330w is going to do it for you. Again, if you overclock, the Asus P4C800 or Abit IC7/IS7 would be the ticket. You could soft-mod your 9800 to be a pro (search google for how to do that), but your PSU may jack you up at the wrong time. Get Antec 420 True Power....

I'm not into overclocking so I'm sticking with the Intel board. The extra $100 isn't much to me either. I will get a bigger PS though. Not sure about the 420, wouldn't a TruePower 380 be enough?

I got my Antec True430 for $77. The True380 would probably do fine though.

make sure you're getting two sticks of identical pc3200 to take advantage of dual-channel memory.

JKOXP, There are benefits to an Intel motherboard - visit Intel for the Application Accelerator program for the motherboard.

It installs a new system driver for the motherboard (which must be an Intel board - thus have an Intel chipset mounted) and this driver drastically increases your system speed no matter what hardware you have.

The new driver works by increasing the output\input speed between the processor, board and the hard disk, speeding access time between the three and can be found at
http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/IAA/index.htm

Remember to download the Chipset Identifyication program prior to using IAA; if your system is not Intel chipset certified or the board you purchase is not yet available on IAA, you might have problems!

Originally posted by nquinnathome1
It installs a new system driver for the motherboard (which must be an Intel board - thus have an Intel chipset mounted) and this driver drastically increases your system speed no matter what hardware you have.
that can be used on the p4c800, ic7/is7, etc. just as long as it has an intel chipset. doesn't have to be manufactured by intel.

Originally posted by taurus
that can be used on the p4c800, ic7/is7, etc. just as long as it has an intel chipset. doesn't have to be manufactured by intel.

correct

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back