suggestions for ADSL router

brodie

OSNN Addict
soon i'll be moving to an area where I can get ADSL connection to the 'net. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to setup a wireless network in my house so I don't need to in cable etc all over the place for my laptop. The desktop pc will be connected to ADSL router by cable (USB??)

I'm after suggestions as to brand/model of ADSL router to buy. It needs to be able to:
handle wireless networking as well as being firewall etc for whole system.
allow me to setup easily and maintain security etc
maybe have print server or will just share printer from home based pc

what do you all recommend???
any suggestions would be great.

Well to do that you NEED to request a Ethernet based modem, not a USB modem. If you get an ethernet modem, use thisL:

http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=22&prid=415

If it is a USB modem, you would need to enable ICS on one machine, and then hardwire it to an access point for the rest of the wireless network. IF you do that, you do NOT need firewall or NAT/sharing features, the desktop running ICS does that already. If you get a USB modem, enable ICS and get:

http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=22&prid=157

JJB6486

Thanks for the tips, I was hoping to try and find a router with modem built in. I will look for price and availability of both in Australia and see how I go.

I think NATs is enough to persuade me to select a router over an old PC.

The Netgear Model DG834G 54mbps Wireless ADSL Firewall Router Combines modem, router, switch, 802.11g access point, and SPI True Firewall
Up to 5X faster than 802.11b
True Firewall with Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) & Intrusion Control, Denial of Service (DoS), Virtual Private Network (VPN) pass-through
Smart Wizard detects/connects to your ISP
Works with both 802.11g & 802.11b

Recommended retail price, $349 AUD

You should be able to find it alot cheaper than $349 tho.

You could increase your networking geek credits and get a cisco 837 :D (which is the cisco branded replacement for Linksys non-wireless dsl/cable routers)

but i find anything linksys/netgear/dlink will do you well.

I strongly recommend against a combined modem router. You will pay a little less but when the next generation routers or wifi come out you will have to buy a whole new rig.

I'm still running my original DSL Modem (5 or 6 years old this month, I lost track) but have been through numerous routers/hubs/wifi as the technology keeps upgrading.

My latest router is the Netgear WGR614 (100 MB router with wifi) which I got for $20USD after rebates. There is a big surplus of wifi gear out there and companies are dumping to clear inventory.

I can recommend 100% Belkin Router with Built in Modem , with website simple setup instructions and 24x7 free phone helpline.

ADSL Setup

This is my first posting to a thread, here goes.....

I have recently bought a Nokia IP40 Firewall to play with I was intending to connect to my internet connection (BT Anypoint 3240 Modem).

The first issue I had was that the BT kit is terminated on a USB Connection, so I bought a 7 port usb hub then I went from the hub to the nokia with a belkin media convertor (rj45) which is patched into the WAN port on my Firewall.

I have a connection from my laptop to the LAN port on the firewall.

Does anybody know what IP configuration I need to add to my network cards and what needs configuring on the Nokia? BT assigns me a DHCP address (different every time) and it is starting to annoy me now!!!

Any help would be gratefully received.

Be sure to check out the D-Link DI-604 (had good results with it) which is made to compete with the Linksys BEFSR41 and you could always snag up a wireless AP later down the road. There's also the DI-624 or DI-524 if you want wireless capability slapped on to a router. I may seem like a D-Link freak but after all the troubles Linksys gave me, D-Link is a superior alternative. Also check out Netgear and Belkin.

i use a linksys wag-54g setup
basically it contains:
ADSL router
54g wireless access point
4 port switch

very easy to use and all in one machine, i love it and highly recomend a combined product :D

http://www.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=6&ipid=371
wag54g.jpg

I would go with Heny with the Linksys WAG54G or the Netgear DG834G

jw50 said:
The Netgear Model DG834G 54mbps Wireless ADSL Firewall Router Combines modem, router, switch, 802.11g access point, and SPI True Firewall
Up to 5X faster than 802.11b
True Firewall with Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) & Intrusion Control, Denial of Service (DoS), Virtual Private Network (VPN) pass-through
Smart Wizard detects/connects to your ISP
Works with both 802.11g & 802.11b

Recommended retail price, $349 AUD

You should be able to find it alot cheaper than $349 tho.

Also recommend

Netgear DG834G

Highly recommend the Netgear DG834G. I've installed these for several clients. Easy to set up and configure. Excellent Wireless coverage. What more do you need?? :)

The short answer to this one is, bin the anypoint modem and get a bt modem with an ethernet connection it worked first time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back