Suggestion for cheap PCI-E card

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
I'm building a system for a buddy and need a suggestion for a cheap PCI-E card. Here's my criteria: I'd like to spend less than $50, preferably passively cooled, dedicated memory. He will not be playing games. I just want something stable. It will be going into an AMD X2 system.

anything cheap. they are all just as bad as each other. But all are fine for web/email/office type applications.

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
I know my Powercooler ATI 9250 AGP has been running great since I got it. It can't possibly be true that only high end gamer-class cards are reliable...

epk

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
any known brand is ok nowadays (evga, xfx, asus, msi, sapphire, powercooler, etc.)

like with any hardware they may fail, but you got reliable support

it tends to be the high end cards that are unreliable as they are pushing the limits of what all that silicon can do and get to such crazy temperatures with the parallel processing they do.

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
Yes, that ASUS 1300 looks like the best deal for under $50.

Nvidia has some close offerings (7100) cheaper but I beleive the ATI cards have built in codec accelerators for watching videos and encoding/decoding. So for $10 more I'd do the ATI card. Not sure I ever heard of Nvidia having any hardware video acceleration.

epk

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
i think with nvidia cards you need the purevideo thing (also needed for h.264 hardware assisted decoding)
wmv hd acceleration doesn't need any extra software

i have no idea how the avivo works on ati cards

you only need purevideo if you want it tio hardware assist with anyting other than normal WMV and MPEG2. WMV HD, etc need purevideo and the gpu's woth purevideo support.

epk

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
are you sure you don't need purevideo for mpeg2 hardware assisted decoding?
i know for sure that wmv (sd or hd) doesn't need it and that h.264 needs it, but i have no idea how it works for mpeg2

vertigo

OSNN Senior Addict
all ATI x1300 (or maybe radeon 9500, my memory is sketchy :p ) series and geforce 5200 and up do at least mpeg2 decoding. all cards geforce 6600GT and up are capable of H264 decoding. not sure about which line of ATI does H264, me being an nvidia user. i guess the x1300 and up

WMV acceleration, in ATI (and i'm sure the same goes with nvidia) just needs recent drivers and microsoft's decoders.

they all do hardware mpeg2 decode when used with WMP.
player is irrelevant, what's needed is the proper card, drivers and decoder. almost every commercial decoder supports DXVA, including the two most popular, WinDVD/Intervideo and PowerDVD/Cyberlink :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nasty12