sudden restart

G

gendr4

it seems that my system just randomly and suddenly restarts itself. i have recently taken care of the RPC errors and i also don't get that message that i used to, NAV 2k3 is fully updated. I also have trouble with my system recognizing my HDD when i boot, sometimes all i have to do though is to restart my system and it boots.

When your system reboots for the first time, how often does it re-occur after that?

completely random, does it atleast like once a day, but sometimes it takes several hours between

Take your pick: In order of likelyhood -

Poor housekeeping - Defrag and clean up your hard disk. Get rid of any software loaded about when the problem started.

Power supply cheap or overloaded - post your PS size, brand and what equipment you have installed we'll let oyu know.

Power line spikes - do lights flicker or anything else happen when you crash. Especially bad in the summer.

Case temp too high - check it with a utility. 35-45C is good. If too high clean out dust and make sure you have 2 case fans (intake in front and exhaust in rear)

CPU temp too high - check it with a utility keep under 55C when gaming. If too high and cleaning tried look for a better heatsink fan.

Bad plug in board - failing video cards or surprisingly, sound cards can cause crashes. Try swapping them out one at a time. (Never had a modem or NIC card raise a problem but try them too).

Marginal Ram - go into bios and reduce "performance settings".

Flaky CPU - try another if you can borrow one.

Flaky Motherboard - this ones a pain. Eliminate all the above and this is it.

Right click my computer/properties/advanced/startup & recovery/settings. Untick auto restart. Now you will get an error message. Let us know what it is.

I wonder if hes having the same problem as my dads pc.

it looks like i am going to have to get a new MB because i have tried everything you have suggeseted thus far, do you have any suggestion of MB's that will fit in my gateway performance? gateway is saying that it because of a virus and that is why my MB must be bad. any suggestions would be great. Thanks alot.

ohh yeah, the is no error message, and when it does restart it cannot find a bootable drive right away, i have to restart again for it to find the HD, and loadup time is sluggish as all. it is a 1.3ghz p4 with 384mb ram and a 32mb geforce 2 mx/mx. and after i disabled restart it now have it locking up and the screen seems to offset some and colors are messed up. and i have to do a cold shutdown to get around it.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back