stupidity update: Netflix suing Blockbuster

ElementalDragon

The One and Only
just had to have the title say that.... cause it's the outright truth. Netflix is suing Blockbuster because Blockbuster's online rental service infringes on 2 of Netflix's patents. you'll get a kick out of what the patents are too.... they're a freakin riot:

The first patent, granted in 2003, covers the method by which Netflix customers select and receive a certain number of movies at a time, and return them for more titles.

The second patent, issued Tuesday, "covers a method for subscription-based online rental that allows subscribers to keep the DVDs they rent for as long as they wish without incurring any late fees, to obtain new DVDs without incurring additional charges and to prioritize and reprioritize their own personal dynamic queue -- of DVDs to be rented," the lawsuit said.

are those not two of THE most broad covered patents ever? that's basically saying that the only way a company can set up online rentals is if they don't have a queue, and have a late fee..... which i don't think any company would EVER do.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/04/news/companies/netflix_blockbuster.reut/?cnn=yes

True the patent system isn't working anymore. How would you fix it?

netflix are just scammers, the longer you have an account with them, the longer they take to actually send you out a movie.

I eventually just started reporting all my movies lost then they automatically sent out my new ones much faster, eventually CS contacted me and i told them why i was doing it, now we get out movies in a couple of days instead of the 7 days it was taking before.

I just goto Blockbuster to rent movies, which isn't that often anyways. Don't feel like waiting.

should patent the way we open a door.... i get $0.25 every time someone infringes on the patent. lol.

and we have MoviePass from BlockBuster.... same as the online..... without the online crap. NetFlix gonna try to shut that down too? i'd like to see them try.

This is pretty silly, I bet nothing comes of it.

You never saw Burger King (or whoever started it) suing anyone else when they started giving free refills, or J.C. Penney when they started using price tags. Good service practices shouldn't be patentable. Were I the judge, I'd revoke the Netflix patent and order them to pay legal fees for the defendant.

The USPTO needs to get someone down there who knows what they're doing before lawyers stab all innovation in the heart.

ElementalDragon said:
should patent the way we open a door.... i get $0.25 every time someone infringes on the patent. lol.

lol... or the way to "properly put on a pair of pants" :D let's see.. theres how many people in the world? :D :D

Michael: 0.o says Green Room to me.... don't remember clicking General Hardware either...

Techno Child: i'm pretty sure that a LOT more doors get opened than pants get put on.

Petros: well said. it's funny to think..... that at this rate.... our lack of advancement in technology and other stuff like that..... will be what was created to protect said advancements in technology and stuff.

or how bout a better one? patent blinking. every time someone blinks..... i get $0.10 lol

The reason they got the patents, was not because it was so broad, but because in the actual patents it specifies exactly in the last detail how it is supposed to work. Blockbuster infringes, they have the right to get sued. If the patent is proven wrong, then it gets removed.

As for the 7 day delivery time, my family has had Netflix for almost 2 years now, and we still get our new DVD's within 2 days of sending the old ones back.

then they must have missed you, because X-Istence, there is currently a Class action lawsuit against netflix for this precise issue.

lancer said:
then they must have missed you, because X-Istence, there is currently a Class action lawsuit against netflix for this precise issue.

Interesting.

elementaldragon said:
or how bout a better one? patent blinking. every time someone blinks..... i get $0.10 lol

drn it... you beat me too it lol, i was thinking about that the second i woke up.... :p

ok... lancer, i thought netflix was suing blockbuster.... how can the lawsuit be against netfilx :confused:

techno yes netlfix is suing blockbuster

BUT

Previously there was a class action suit against netflix, regarding all their customers not getting what their terms state like one day shipping, unlimited dvd's etc...

look at the link provided

http://www.netflix.com/Settlement

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back