Stupid, Pointless Jobs

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political Access
Stupid, Pointless Jobs

CAUTION: THIS ARTICLE MAY BE OFFENSIVE TO PEOPLE
WHO IDENTIFY EMOTIONALLY WITH THEIR JOBS

It’s more evil than CRIME... it’s a greater threat than nicotine... it’s more corrupting than DIRTY words... No, not drugs or paedophiles. I’m talking about pointless, stupid, unnecessary work. We’re surrounded by it.. it’s in your mail box (junk mail doesn’t conceive, plan, budget, design, print and mail ITSELF – there are full-time jobs to do these things).. It’s on the phone (have telemarketing jobs ever increased the quality of life for one single human being?).

Then there is the ultimate menace, the absolute evil... Financial Services. Financial Services is a huge industry – banking, credit cards and insurance are bigger in the UK than manufacturing. Financial Services has provided vast numbers of pointless jobs.

No creation of anything useful or worthwhile is involved

Financial Services is pretty much all based on what used to be called usury - the practice of making money from money. No creation of anything useful or worthwhile is involved. No real wealth is being created (to use Buckminster Fuller’s definition of real wealth as whatever “nurtures and accommodates human life”).

All that pointless work. And it’s not just the thousands of unfortunate office wage-slaves. Consider also the buildings that house the Financial Services companies, the computer systems used, the junk mail they send out by the thousand tons. All of this requires human work to conceive, plan, design, schedule, build, manage, implement, market and deliver. Pointless jobs.

A recent survey showed that 60% of UK workers feel their work is of no use to society. Look around and be aware of the pointlessness of most work. There are examples everywhere – the so-called loyalty cards which every large retail store seems to issue, the over-complex tax system which creates a necessity for accountants (and for people who conceive, plan, design, schedule, write and print the tax form instructions, and the people who make the headache pills for everyone who has to fill in a tax return).

Everybody in my street (except me) has a burglar alarm installed (in spite of the fact that the burglary rate in my area has been virtually zero for years). Try to imagine the amount of human work involved in conceiving, planning, designing, producing, marketing, installing and maintaining all the products and services which owe their existence to our over-stimulated fears of crime and property loss.

Now try to imagine a society where people work only on things that are essential, beneficial or enjoyable. The essential work would probably require only a few hours a week at the most. There would still be unpleasant jobs, but if we had a true labour market, the most unpleasant jobs would be the highest paid jobs.

hmmmmmmm??? :eek: :cool:

Nurse, quick, bring gonaads his pills. I think he's cracking up!:D

What he says is true though!

Yes oh yes - and in this imaginary world I will be the lavatory attendant at the virtual Woodstock/Glastonbury and earn enough to retire for the rest of my natural life!!! (plus I get a free backstage pass!)

rushm001 said:
Nurse, quick, bring gonaads his pills. I think he's cracking up!:D

What he says is true though!

hahhahhah... Medication! Yeah! :p

We strive to make our lives as comfortable and lazy as possible. :rolleyes:

where can I sing up and receive one of these pointless jobs? I need a job......

I have held several pointless jobs in my life. And they are just that, pointless, except for the finacial renumeration I received. I now work in an essential field doing very important and highly satisfying work. I can tell you it is much more satisfying to the soul. If you are in a dead end job that you hate, quit and find something you want to be doing. That is my advice, It makes for a much happier existance

It is true... Find work doing what you enjoy. Not some dumb thing either, a real job :p

And yer life will be that much better for it, no excessive stress, no boredom, and complete fullfillment because you are doing something that you enjoy and take pleasure doing.

I work as an Automotive Technician, aka... mechanic, grease monkey, motor head. :D
But I enjoy what I do, I love working on automobiles. I have always enjoyed tinkering with engines and cars and all that is part of my industry. That is why I rarely get stressed out due to my job.

I do need a vacation though. 10 years without one... Boy do I need a vacation. :p

Wanna trade? Errrrrrrr... for a month. :D

gonaads said:
Wanna trade? Errrrrrrr... for a month. :D
I would love to, would do it in a heartbeat! As long as I get paid for that month:) . At this point I will work cheap!

*looks at mop and pale sitting in corner of shop* Hmmmmm... :rolleyes: :p

BTW... What's up wit dem Green Bay Packers??? Daaaaaaaaaamn :p :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back