Stupid network..Please Help!

K

KMA

Ok... here is the story...
2 computers..... ALL Computers run win XP PRO !
computer " A " is on a cable modem for the internet and works.
computer " B " is on the network but it won't see any connections.
It did work...now it won't ... ?
I have run the network wizard over and over again.
It still won't work. No internet, no getting to that computer in the network.

I can get it to work for a day..and next day it's off.
Last time I got it to work... I had to run the wizard on Computer A and then on B and then it worked...until I shut down.

It was working....weeks on end until it started to do stupid things.
I have computer " C " also on the network..and same thing is starting to happen to that one.

Any Idea's ?????

Let me know what else you need to know and I'll post it asap.

Please help me with this.
Thanks for your time.

Matt....... KMA

What I do when the computers act up like that is either:

1. Create a new Name for the Workgroup on each computer (example: MyNetwork) and re-run the network setup wizard and make sure printer and file sharing is enabled on each pc.

OR

2. Delete all network connections in each computer, reboot and re-install the protocalls and re-run the network setup wizard on each pc.

Ok. first of all do you have a hub? if so then this is easy. if not then u need to enable internet connection sharing, just look it up in the windows help thing. now if you have a hub. you have to do a couple of things. first make sure all 3 machines are set to obtain their ips automaticly....right click the network icon -> properties -> right click your connection and choose properties again -> now double click internet protocol tcp/ip -> in the windows that pops up make sure that both obtain ip automaicly and obtain dns automaticly are selected. now once thats done you have to install netbeui, again on all 3 machines. to do that go to \VALUEADD\MSFT\NET\NETBEUI on your xp cd. there is a nice text file there explaining how to do install it. do that on all the computers, reboot all 3 compters. once that is done all should be good.

hope this helps.

oDin.

Before I start going over things you may have done before, can I ask how you have set up your network. i.e. Have you got a hub which you run all 3 machines off, or do connect directly to each machine etc?

Oh, by the way, before I go any further, have you already got it sorted??

stupid network

One 5 port linkus hub... all the machines connect to that.
Internet is straight to " A " machine.

Hub works...has worked for 3 years now.

I did some sorting of things... I don't have it figured out..but..
something new has been found.

Internet and the network for "b" and "c" computers will only work AFTER I run the networking wizard on "A" AGAIN and then on "B" and "C".

So I now belive that it is a problem based on "A" computer, It seems to "forget" that is it on a network.

The hub is always powered up.

I have tryed to reinstall winXP Pro.. no help.

If memory serves me correct....this all started about the same time as my other strange problem...with " low virtual memory" on shut down.
Someone told me about a link to symantic web with a fix for this problem... works...99%

Thanks for your help.

Computer:
AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2000+
1,67 GHz
256 MB of RAM
Vidio card:
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
Hard drives:
MAXTOR 80GIG
MAXTOR 2GIG
ZIP DRIVE
CD drives:
ASUS CRW-3212A
SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616T
OP SYSTEM:
WIN XP PRO

Virtual memory problem......that sounds like a virtual memory problem I had with another XP machine. Have you loaded any patches from Microsoft for XP? If not, there is a patch which fixes virtual memory problem available from microsofts website. Well, I don't think it's soley for virtual memory prob, however it fixed the machine I was working on. I can't quite remember which patch, but I can find out for you if you like. It's part of the critical updates when you run automatic update, but you have to select it to install. Once you install the update, restart your machine. Now, with XP, I've found it better to specify XP to automatically manage the virtual memory (pagefile). Also, if you have more than one hard drive, set it to use a pagefile on each drive. This can help as well. But it depends whether you've got multiple physical disks or just partitions.

Now, in regards to your network, have all your machine got static addresses? Also, what protocols are you running? Just IP or others as well?

KMA, try this....got to computer c and click start button -> run -> at the command prompt type ipconfig write down the ip address. now go to computer a or b and again click start -> run now type //ip address. that should allow you to see computer c. now, a couple of questions. first, do you have internet connection sharing enabled??. second, how many ip address are you getting from your isp?

oDin.

figures...right now.... everything is working :-(
I don't know how many ip adresses my server gives me.
the

I did that ipconfig...and all I see is a dos screen flash for a sec and then go away.
I can't read anything in that screen before it's gone.
How am I do see it with out it closing?

If you're going to run IPCONFIG, you need to run cmd first. This will open a DOS prompt, from which you can then run IPCONFIG.

Also, you might want to run IPCONFIG /ALL. This will give you a detailed spec on your settings.

If you could let me know what other protocols your running and whether or not they're static address that would be good.

Originally posted by KMA
I did that ipconfig...and all I see is a dos screen flash for a sec and then go away.
I can't read anything in that screen before it's gone.
How am I do see it with out it closing?

oops...forgot to mention that you had to type cmd first

:D

Happy your problems fixed...

I could never get that network thing to work...

I manualy set up my network...
The server has to cards the WS 1...
The ip addresses, subnets, gateway, and dns servers all thats need to get the 2nd and third computer on line...

Xp is better since it lets you bridge network cards...
My Win2k server does'nt...

Well I had a similar problem (eg. could not find other computers and could not connect to the Internet) when setting up a home network with a hub and only one computer connecting directly to the Internet.

The way I solved the problem was to set Internet Connection Sharing to use the IPX protocol instead of TCP. After that the home network worked like a charm. But I should mention that this is a horribly unsafe way of connecting to the Internet, but it works!

Regards

Kvag Raddamoss

Well I had a similar problem (eg. could not find other computers and could not connect to the Internet) when setting up a home network with a hub and only one computer connecting directly to the Internet.

The way I solved the problem was to set Internet Connection Sharing to use the IPX protocol instead of TCP. After that the home network worked like a charm. But I should mention that this is a horribly unsafe way of connecting to the Internet, but it works!

Regards

Kvag Raddamoss

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back