Stupid Game Question.

scriptasylum

OSNN Senior Addict
I generally like to play driving games, but I'd like to try something else. I find myself playing Winmine when I get bored with driving fast, and that has to stop! I've played MOHAA and liked it alot except for the controls. I hate using keyboard controls. Maybe most people can adapt to using a keyboard for the billion different actions, but I don't find it intuitive.

I don't like RPG games because it takes too long to do anything! I like to sit down, start the game, and do something; not spend an eternity building experience levels and such. I guess my attention span is too small. :)

Anyway, I was looking for a FPS that can use a gamepad. I have a digital (MS Sidewinder USB), an analog model (Gravis Eliminator Aftershock), and a wheel (Logitech MOMO) so I have a decent selection.

So, my question is: What's a good playing FPS that's not gonna take months to complete, can use a gamepad for controls (I don't mind using the keyboard for a few rarely used actions if need be), and has lots of "eye candy". I didn't get a 9800pro for nothing. :)

its really worth persevering with keyboard and mouse for shoot em up's
the controls are really easy master
any keys your not comfortable with can always be remapped

game pads are well suited for racing games
but for shoot em ups you cant beat keyboard and mouse

:cool:

Try Unreal II, I suppose. I am going over all the actions in my mind and I think that would be the way to go. Deus Ex 2 has great graphics, as does Max Payne 2. Yeah...

Max Payne 2 would be my top pick for you, since it's already ported for consoles anyway.

Like 2zee said, you can remap the keys, and most games will support DX functions, so
it's even easier to set up your joystick/controller.

I can't really recommend many joystick fps games though m8,
as I too find keys for movement, mouse for look/aim/shoot,
the most intuitive control combo. :)

I think the biggest issue I have is when I'm trying to reach for a certain key and I miss it by one and end up doing something totally different. It just isn't intuitive for me. I even tried one of those Nostros keypads and I actually did worse (even after taking it through the "learning curve"). I just find gamepads much easier. My Gravis has a bunch of buttons to map; I just need to find a game that allows another input device other than a keyboard and mouse.

Like I said, I'm willing to use the keyboard for some obscure, rarely used functions, but I'd like the primary controls to be on the gamepad.

That said, what are the games you know of that support other input devices, other than keyboard & mouse? Max Payne2 and Deus Ex2 are the only ones that you know of to support this?

Set your keybinds up, then map the controls to the keys using DX, & The Gravis
XPerience Control Panel. You know that thing that shows you your joystick?
It lets you map keys to button functions, you can save different sessions for different
games, as well as download them from Gravis. ;)

Try that m8. You might be surprised at the results. :)

Erbmaster said:
Set your keybinds up, then map the controls to the keys using DX, & The Gravis
XPerience Control Panel. You know that thing that shows you your joystick?
It lets you map keys to button functions, you can save different sessions for different
games, as well as download them from Gravis. ;)

Try that m8. You might be surprised at the results. :)

Thanks. I didn't think I could use a gamepad if the game didn't "officially" support gamepads. I'll have to check that out! I'm gonna try it on MOHAA first and see how it works.

i think your best bet is to buy a console like xbox or ps2 i've tried them and in my opinion i hate fps games in console can't aim worth crap..mouse & keyboard for pc is a more precise..can't see myself even trying to attempt playing with gamepad..

if you like x-box controllers, you can wire them to plug into your computer

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back