stupid folder permissions

Taurus

hardware monkey
okay, i don't have any experience with permissions. i've been given the job of reformatting someone's computer that's fubar'd by viruses. most i've gotten rid of, but some i can't and many system files are beyond help. anyway, i have to retrieve a folder of all of the stuff she wants to keep off of the harddrive, but i can't access it unless i sign in as her on the infected comp. right now i am in safe mode on her computer, but it's seriously copying one picture every 2 seconds which means it will take a day or so. i would like to be able to remove the hd and plug it into another comp and scan/move files that way which would be safer and MUCH faster.

any tips?

PS. oh yeah, and explorer keeps crashing, so i have to babysit it and resume the folder moving. i NEED to do this on another comp.

but i can't access it unless i sign in as her
why not change the permissions?

but it's seriously copying one picture every 2 seconds
where are you copying it to?
i would like to be able to remove the hd and plug it into another comp and scan/move files that way which would be safer and MUCH faster.
so.. why not plug the drive into another computer as the second drive?
PS. oh yeah, and explorer keeps crashing, so i have to babysit it and resume the folder moving. i NEED to do this on another comp.

Use robocopy - much better at copying large amounts of data - not the least of which is because when a copy fails, robocopy can pick up where it left off

Why not change the permissions, connect it to a private network with another machine and use robocopy to copy the files?

Use a Linux liveCD (Ubuntu) to copy anything you want off the HD w/out having to worry about anything Windows. :)

why not change the permissions?
because i don't know how. i poked around in the security and permissions tabs, but i don't see how to turn them off completely or allow everyone and their mother.

where are you copying it to?
laptop hd via usb and then via sata. same speed in either case and cpu usage is pegged (safe mode) which is probably the reason.

so.. why not plug the drive into another computer as the second drive?
that's my preferred method and the one i tried first, but when i try to access files in the folder, i get windows "access is denied" prompt. again, permissions.

Use robocopy - much better at copying large amounts of data - not the least of which is because when a copy fails, robocopy can pick up where it left off
i'll have to give it a try.

Use a Linux liveCD (Ubuntu) to copy anything you want off the HD w/out having to worry about anything Windows. :)
i'm a complete noob when it comes to linux, but i suppose this would be a good time to learn. :)

i'm a complete noob when it comes to linux, but i suppose this would be a good time to learn. :)
I'm willing to bet you'd be able to figure it out w/out much issues at all really. The drive should mount for you and then you just open up the drive and copy/paste just like on Windows. :) Anything you had issues with you could always Google or post here. ;)

Linux is great and all... but why all the fuss over something that should take around 30 seconds to figure out?

Go to security... advanced, owner.

Take ownership.

Go back to the advanced security, add yourself, put a check next to the option that says something like 'Apply to all child folders/objects'

Press ok.

Wait while permissions are set and then just copy your files.

Linux is great and all... but why all the fuss over something that should take around 30 seconds to figure out?

Take ownership.

Go back to the advanced security, add yourself, put a check next to the option that says something like 'Apply to all child folders/objects'

Press ok.

thanks. that what i wanted. :) too bad i ended up just copying everything in normal, non-safe mode with the av turned off. if any of her files are damaged, oh well.

Take ownership.

Press ok.

My way only takes 30secs and doesn't put your system at anymore chance of deleting the very data your trying to recover. If you want to put your data at risk (thus negating your very purpose) then yes, your way is perfectly fine. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back