Study shows 1/3rd of studies are inaccurate

Petros

Thief IV
This story is interesting, assuming it's true.

I've always had a general mistrust for all the medical "studies" lately. They often contradict each other. Remember these?
  1. Sunlight will kill you, but not having sun will kill you.
  2. A glass of wine a day is good for the heart. But don't do it, because we're not sure.
  3. Antioxidants fight cancer and heart disease! Or not!

It's not the people putting out all the studies that causes me to reach for my salt grains, but the sheer numbers of the ones we see almost daily in the news.

My conundrum now is this: should I believe the study cited in this story or not? Eh, I'm still skeptical :eek:gre:

You could do it the old fashion way and just flip a coin

Unwonted said:
My conundrum now is this: should I believe the study cited in this story or not? Eh, I'm still skeptical :eek:gre:
if 1/3rd studies are inaccurate, I think this study is about the third one I read today, the other two were right on the money, so if I'm you this is the one that has to go

Last edited:
perris said:
if 1/3rd studies are inaccurate, I think this study is about the third one I read today, the other two were right on the money

lol...that's kinda how I'm feeling.

Unwonted said:
This story is interesting, assuming it's true.

I've always had a general mistrust for all the medical "studies" lately. They often contradict each other. Remember these?
  1. Sunlight will kill you, but not having sun will kill you.
  2. A glass of wine a day is good for the heart. But don't do it, because we're not sure.
  3. Antioxidants fight cancer and heart disease! Or not!

It's not the people putting out all the studies that causes me to reach for my salt grains, but the sheer numbers of the ones we see almost daily in the news.

:laugh:

Good find.

I was thinking the same as you after reading it. Should I believe this or not?

:devious:

So this study on studies could also be inaccurate?

about the only thing accurate in any sampling is the margin of error.

vern said:
So this study on studies could also be inaccurate?

Dontcha just love it. Sounds like this Sci-Fi ep somewhere, where they had to take a computer down. So fed it some contradictory terms like

- The next statement I will say will be a lie
- I am lieing...

The thing got all confused and blew itself up :devious:

I know what is being said about some of these studies... Another one:

- an aspirin a day will help prevent a heart attack, but
- an aspriin a day can produce a stroke

What a wonderful choice :D Die by heart attack or die by stroke :suprised:

I long since gave up on some of these...

If you want to really scare yourself go to the website of a drug company and pull up the detailed report on any new wonder drug.

Read the section on clinical trials carefully and you will notice that the number of people the drug helped is only slightly larger than the number of people the placebo helped.

Next read the section on contraindications (bad side effects). Every one of the new drugs causes insomnia or drowsiness, constipation or diahrea, agitation or depression.

LeeJend said:
Next read the section on contraindications (bad side effects). Every one of the new drugs causes insomnia or drowsiness, constipation or diahrea, agitation or depression.

I always find it funny in the wonder drug commercials when they metion all the side effects in a hurried whisper. :D

I had come down with some infections this past semester. Bronchitous and some other stuff... They had me on zithromax (after amoxicillin which only worked a couple days, and then stopped being effective) and other anti-biotics.

If one read the list... They had me on a variety of things for an ear infection last November/December, from penacillian derivatives, to augmentin, both systemic and ear drops... That nasty little bastid just wouldn't go away easily... I fnally ended up having to go down to the hospital to get it treated, and they had to give me other drops, till they could get in there sufficiently to remove the "plaque" that had formed all around my ear drum and stuff...

The list on some of those drugs, from mood changes, to sensititivty to light and skin dis-coloring, prostate problems that could rarely occur, extreme drowsiness, etc... I'm not sure I have the hand out on some of those things anymore...but the list got quite severe. Luckily these side effects rarely occur :)

I laugh when i hear that too grandmaster :)

There is some movie or show that was showing a commercial during the show or w/e it was and like for a minute straight they named off side effects.

sad too say, that bacteria resistant infections are more common now because people do not follow the course of an antibiotic correctly. My son was on augmentin for ear infections, nasty stuff.

That is partially why Zithro is popular, one pill a day for three days, or 6 pills over 5 days. Simple right?

It's also a matter of peeps getting low doses of anti-biotics without knowing about it...

http://www.foodsci.uoguelph.ca/dairyedu/biosynthesis.html

Antibiotics are frequently used to control mastitis in dairy cattle. However, the presence of antibiotic residues in milk is very problematic, for at least three reasons. In the production of fermented milks, antibiotic residues can slow or destroy the growth of the fermentation bacteria. From a human health point of view, some people are allergic to specific antibiotics, and their presence in food consumed can have severe consequences. Also, frequent exposure to low level antibiotics can cause microorganisms to become resistant to them, through mutation, so that they are ineffective when needed to fight a human infection. For these reasons, it is extremely important that milk from cows being treated with antibiotics is withheld from the milk supply.

The problem is, that some farmers have come to give the cows a steady diet of antibiotics, rather then when needed "in case there might be infection"...

Needless to say, by the time I had been cycled through so many anti-biotics for a coupla different things, I was beginning to have some stomach upsets, diareha, nausia, etc... I musta been through like 10-20 different oral anti-biotics within 6 months...

Eating yogurt and also taking some stuff like aciphodophilus (there are some pretty potent pro-biotics at the health food store here) helped alleviate this sooner, rather then latter...

It is truth in the pleasant guise of illusion, the article!

Anti-biotics are a two sided sword; they heal one thing whilst hurting another. I have a bad cold which spread to my eye, giving me a really nasty eye infection. The doctor perscribed the standard anti-biotics and aside from a nasty stomach ache I feel absolutely the same. I think I've taken so much zithromax in my life that you could give me a placebo pill instead and I'd never know the difference.

I buy organic milk.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back