stuck!

Petro

OSNN Newbie
Hi all,I tried doing a search on a problem i have on offering remote assistance but i havent been successfull at all and I am new to all this stuff so please bear with me.
The problem im facing that I cant resolve is that I keep getting this message at the Offer Remote Assistance window when I try to connect after typing in the IP address of my client computer: "Access to the requested resource has been disabled by your administrator".

Here's what I've already done:
  • I just installed server 2003 on the server computer and windows xp sp2 on the the client computer.
  • I enabled offer remote assistant on both server and client computers in the MMC group policy snap in and added the correct domain\username in the helpers window.
  • I also made sure that port 3389 was opened.
  • I also made sure port 135 was opened as well.
  • Both Server and client computers are part of the same domain.
The thing is, I could offer Remote Assistance from my client computer to the server, but I cant connect from server to client and I get that "Access to the requested resource has been disabled by your administrator"message. What resource has been disabled? how can I enable it? I've been trying to figure this out for sometime and Im sure its something really simple. If anyone has any idea how i can resolve this issue, I would really appreciate it thanks!

did you enable it on your clients ??

Are these machines loging onto a domain? If so the Group Policy will be taken from the domain login server NOT the local machine. GP needs to be set for the user group to allow remote assistance on the domain not the local machine.

By opening the two ports above, have you enabled them in windows firewall aswell?

Is this for remote operation of the windows 2003 computer? If so why not use Remote Desktop. Im only asking cause Remote Assisstance and Remote Desktop arent the same. Port 3389 is for remote desktop as far as I kno (not sure bout remote assistabce, only used it once or twice)

Remote assistance uses port 135 and works on a ticket based system.

This is such a loaded question, and btw, such a accurate thread title :) j/k!

First off, I agree with most of what has been said in this thread already. If both machines are logging onto the domain, or have EVER logged onto the domain, the local policy is result of GPO. If you have not yet configured any GPO settings on the user or computer level, then the local policy you configure will apply. Keep in mind, because of inheritance, any changes you make at the local leve are over-written next time the machine hits the domain controller.

This is how you would set it up locally, you can modify it slightly if setting through the Domain Controller.

Offer Remote Assistance

An added feature for Windows XP Professional, known as Offer Remote Assistance, enables an expert with Administrators group privileges to initiate a session without first receiving an invitation from the novice. This feature allows experts (for example, Domain Administrators) to provide assistance within an organization. Offer Remote Assistance is disabled by default, but you can enable it by modifying a Group Policy setting.
To enable Offer Remote Assistance
  1. In the Run dialog box, type gpedit.msc.
  2. Expand Local Computer Policy, expand Computer Configuration, and then expand Administrative Templates.
  3. Expand System, and then expand Remote Assistance.
  4. In the details pane, double-click Offer Remote Assistance, click Enabled, and then click OK.
You can also grant Offer Remote Assistance privileges to nonadministrators, by using the following procedure.
To enable Offer Remote Assistance for nonadministrators
  1. In the Run dialog box, type gpedit.msc.
  2. Expand Local Computer Policy, expand Computer Configuration, and then expand Administrative Templates.
  3. Expand System, and then expand Remote Assistance.
  4. In the details pane, double-click Offer Remote Assistance and then click Enabled.
  5. Click Show and then click Add. In the Add Item dialog box, type the name of the user or group that you want to grant Offer Remote Assistance privileges to by using the following syntax: domain\username– or –
    domain\groupnameThe computers of the novice and expert users must be members of the same domain, or members of domains that trust each other.
  6. Click OK and repeat Steps 1-10 for each user or group.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back