I wound up with a dual boot system
(black screen with white text letters)
I searched system
did not find dup windows folders or anything like that
i have lived with it for past few months
as this is only used a a 4th gaming system on home LAN
BUT - sound card failed
so tried to replace it
(with 2 different models with original CD)
had install issues
so - tried to use on board sound
(went into bios setup)
still have issues - thinks it is in use
uninstalled all other sond card drivers
finally got windows to 'recognize' on board sound
but cannot get software/driver issues remedied
I am guesing this might be from my dual OS problem

suggestions/recommendations please

Last edited:
Edit the BOOT.INI file and remove the entry for Windows ME.

NOTEPAD "C:\BOOT.INI"

Delete the second of the two.

make a backup of your current boot.ini (copy it to a subfolder on c and call it boot.old, for example) and then edit the boot.ini and remove the first entry. reboot.
MAKE SURE YOU HAVEA BOOTDISK so that you can still boot and get into DOS if it causes problems.

if that doesn't do it, restore the backup and keep the first line but remove the second.

ok
will try
I have 2nd friend who was having issues with Win
tried to do reinstall/repair
and had some crash due to bad cmos error from bad battery
now has 2 boot option
win and setup
shall he try same as me? delete line from boot.ini

I beg the differ, I wouldn't remove the first entry. Normally the first entry is the one that matches up with the "boot loader" information.

i.e.

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

If the portion before the "=" sign doesn't match up with the information in the "boot loader" section then you are going to have even more problems.

And speaking from experience Windows adds the latest OS installation before others.

please help and be 'specific' as to what I should do
THANKS

boot.jpg

Alternatively, you can go to the control panel and delete one of the boot-options, or remove the option for multiple boot-options.

I don't know if that is easer for you to do than editing things that you are not sure about.

Sazar said:
Alternatively, you can go to the control panel and delete one of the boot-options, or remove the option for multiple boot-options.

I don't know if that is easer for you to do than editing things that you are not sure about.

What you should do is hit the Windows Key + Pause/Break, which will bring up your system Properties (alternatively, right click my computer and go to properties. Choose the Advanced Tab, and under Startup and Recovery click Settings. In the top section, where it says System Startup, click the edit button in the bottom right corner. It will show the same file as you pictured above, but will give you the option to delete the second line.

When you boot, which one do you select? The first or the second option? If you choose the first, delete the second, and vice-versa.

From the picture above click 'check all boot paths'. See how that goes.

Another easy way to see what system is what is to rename in between the quotes. eg, "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" to "whatever you like". Rebbot, now you will see the name change. Select it & see if it boots. You'll then know which one to delete & rename if neccesary.

ok - onceI know which one to reboot
are there other changes to that ini file
or tp other files?
thanks for all suggestions
you guys are great
ps
a friend said
try
fdisk /mbr
what will that do?

Don't do that fdisk /mbr. You'll wipe your hard drive clean. If it is now only showing one system (booting straight in) leave it alone. All done. :)

I renamed the bottom one to XXX
so - I guess i just delete that line
as it is not the one I boot

From what I see in the picture these two lines for partition 2 match showing that it is the one that is default and therefore active:

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Seems it should be safe to remove this line:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

greggustin said:
I renamed the bottom one to XXX
so - I guess i just delete that line
as it is not the one I boot
Yup, delete that line and you will be in the clear, no more issues :)

ta dah
where you guys been all my life ? ? ? ?
ty
:)
ps
now if I can get a sound card to work again
still no luck with the embedded sound system

Do you have the drivers installed?

How is it listed in Device Manager?

Seeing as you went from ME to XP you will need the XP drivers for your sound card. Go to the manufacturer home page & download it. Also turn off the onboard sound in the bios. Remove the old ME driver then install the XP driver.......maybe........see what they say at the download site.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back