Stuck - GTAIII Car Race

V

Vorpal

I just started playing GTAIII again (something came out the next day and I stopped playing way back when).

I'm on the first Diablo Gang mission (I think it is) - the car race.

I'm having a lot of problems winning.... I've never even come in third.

The other three cars seem to be nearly immune to running into anything and they're very fast.... I tried wrecking into them from the beginning to (didn't work).

Just looking for advice....

I've tried many many tactics, but none have come close to winning it! My favourite is to get the big Hummer style vehicle and drive over/into the others cars in the attempt to smash them up badly, so badly they blow up.

I've avoided that mission, cos I don't really like it, cos I can't do it :(

(just came to me)

I wonder what would happen if you kept stealing vechicles and piling them up at the intersection just past the race start when everyone has to turn, causing a massive road-block, before you start the race.

Then maybe jump into an 18 wheeler cab (one at the dinner and in the docks warehouse past the jump ramp). And, line up to start the race.

It seems like you could cause a traffic jam to block them in so you could kill them without them being able to get away.

I'll try it the next time I play.

This one isnt too bad if you have a fast car - try stealing a COP car or goto the garage next to 8 Balls where inside the garage you will find a nice sporty little number.

The real trick is not to run into the other cars at all. They are all but indestructable. Any car you drive will be at liability for wrecking. Two vehicles that work the best dependant on your driving style (I think) are:

1) the Hummer. It takes much more damage than other cars so if you bang into things a lot, this is the best vehicle. It also steers reasonably well and has some reasonable get-up-and-go.

2) the Banshee (available if you break through the glass at the Easy Credit Auto Building). It is the raciest car you find in the first level, has great speed and handling. If you get out in front of the others quick and don't run into a lot of stuff, it goes really good.

You can find some more detailed walkthrough info here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/game/30655.html

Sad fact is that you have to do it over and over to get it. Once you do, SAVE!

Best purchase you can make for this game is the Logitech Wingman Rumblepad. It's retail is only $29.99 and it's set up much like the PlayStation 2 controller with the two analog joy sticks. The joysticks provide a very fine level of control when driving. I don't know if I could have finished the game without mine.

I think the best car for that race is the Sentinel. There is one parked in the mafia area in front of a café i think it is. Its fast handles ok if you use the handbrake and it can take a beating.
Of course you should avoid hitting anything at all :)

Originally posted by Vorpal
(just came to me)

I wonder what would happen if you kept stealing vechicles and piling them up at the intersection just past the race start when everyone has to turn, causing a massive road-block, before you start the race.

Then maybe jump into an 18 wheeler cab (one at the dinner and in the docks warehouse past the jump ramp). And, line up to start the race.

It seems like you could cause a traffic jam to block them in so you could kill them without them being able to get away.

thats what i did :D

also try and get a banshee or cheetah for that race

you can get the same car as the other three (cant remember its name). On the level where you take the girl to the nightclub and it gets raided, as you pull up outside the club in the limo there is one parked in the carpark outside. As far as i can remember you have to be quick and get it back to your garage and save the game with it in your garage.Then go back and do the rest of the mission. The only other way i managed to win was with the banshee(see other replys).

(just came to me)

If I know my GTA series properly, the computer will be a tight-arse and make your traffic jam disappear if you take your eye-sight off it.

Yep!

Evertime you add a second car to the blockage, one will vanish as soon as you are not looking at the two.

Bummer...

I think I'll try the mafia car next.

That mafia sentinel is solid, i've been in more than enough nasty scrapes in that and survived. Although i still like the taxi's, they can take a massive pounding!

Yep!

Evertime you add a second car to the blockage, one will vanish as soon as you are not looking at the two.

Bummer...

I think I'll try the mafia car next.

If you arrive in a coach/bus and park THAT across all 3 cars, along with a couple of other cars, you can give yourself a good head start. Once you know the course you should be able to blow the other cars away :D

The easiest way is to start the race, go to the side where there are no cars, do the blow up all cars cheat, get a car and win thr race. With this cheat, the fast cars will be blown up !!!

first i find difficult to play that mission..so i skip the mission because its just a secondary mission..but after unlocking the staunton island and stealing the yakuza stinger..i went back to that mission and i won first...the tip is that you dont have to destroy your opponents car...just relax in playing that mission..i realized that the ooponents usually bumps into the wall everytime..so just relax

if you take the banshee... you will win...

I raced it and won... leading start to finish...

if you have basic driving skillz in the game... the banshee, as long as you don't hammer the car up, will win it for you...

banshee has better acceleration and handling than the other cars there... better to just race with it..

it can be found at the auto car dealership next to 8-balls garage...

also one of the top cars to do stunts in... I did some mad flips past the mafioso house on the bluff overlooking the beach... and once you have sorta landed :)

you do it all over again..heh..

my fave car so far? sentinel coz it sounds sweet... and the banshee...

I am still in portland though... :) finishing every single mission...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back