Stressful Problem - Radeon 9800 Pro only 10fps??

ironj221

OSNN Newbie
Hey everyone,

Having a big problem. I have a 1.8GHz P4, 1GB RDRAM, and a Radeon 9800 Pro. When I run Counter-Strike on the LOWEST settings, my fps can get as low as 10fps. Now I know there is no way that can be right....something is wrong. :cry:

I recently reformated my computer. I searched around the net and saw some people were having similar issues. They said that they needed to download the motherboard chipset and it fixed the problem. I thought that was my problem!!!

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=45&strTypes=DRV%2CARC%2CSCD%2CUTL&ProductID=572&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Home+Edition&submit=Go%21 I downloaded the INF update utility at the intel site....no luck. I'm still getting bad fps. ALSO, I have updated my ATI Drivers from ati.com.

If anyone has any help, it will be APPRECIATED. THANK YOU!

Jason:)

Have you already searched around the Steam forums?
Sorry I am not much help but I do not have an ATI card.

are you talking about cs 1.6 or cs source???

Tuffgong4 said:
are you talking about cs 1.6 or cs source???

source, but I guess I should have made it clear...cs was just an example. I'm getting pretty poor fps on all my games. Although some games are fine...strange.

I'll check out the steam forums for advice, thanks.

check your settings in the control panel and make sure you are not running with max AA and AF enabled...

seems unlikely to be the root of the problem but its possible...

Sazar said:
check your settings in the control panel and make sure you are not running with max AA and AF enabled...

Nope, I'm not. I really think its the motherboard drivers, but I just don't know where/what to download.

what chipset do you have?

if its an intel board with intel chipset, you download intel drivers...

if its an intel board with via chipset... you get the 4-in-1 drivers or whatever with teh agp/ide and other drivers...

if its an ati chipset, download and run the ati drivers...

hope it helps :) and keep us posted on your progress...

I thought my 20-25fps was bad... (on a GF Ti4200).

Well now I have no idea what the problem is. I downloaded every driver I could find at ATi and Intel and no luck. Some people are telling me its probably my motherboard since it is 4-5 yrs old. My motherboard only support 4X AGP too.

I think I'll just buy a new motherboard, thanks for your help everyone!

what motherboard is it?

agp 4x-8x == about 1fps difference...

so thats not the problem...

My friend experiences the same thing on this machine with a Ti4600.
I used to be able to get 99fps on the older CS games, but not since they have updated steam back in the summer. Now (as mentioned already) I can only get upto 25fps, possibly 55fps if i'm sticking my face in the walls.

make sure to check your seetings in windows by disabling vsync. that is huge on video cards. what games are working fine? are they old games or recent games?

when i mean old like 3 years or older

did you install the ati graphics drivers? (catalyst...) if you're running off of the default windowsxp drivers, you might get that

You never mentioned what you meant by "running CS at it's lowest settings". Lowest settings is 640x480, AA/AF OFF, no lighting, low textures, etc.

The drivers that could mess you up are the MB AGP driver or the ATI Drivers could be corrupted (old nvidia drivers still enstalled) or have bad setup (AA/AF forced on, refresh too high, etc.) in the ATI drivers.

-If you are running above 1024x768 cut it back to that in the game.
-Kill shadows and dynamic lighting effects in the game.
-Turn AA/AF OFF in game and in Catalyst.
-Keep the refresh rate less than 75.

If the after the setting changes the FPS is still slow then it's time to start purging and reloading drivers.
1) Start with the AGP driver. Set your desktop to 800x 600 then uninstall the AGP driver under device manager. Reboot and reinstall. See if the FPS has improved.

2) If the AGO driver doesn't fix it get nasty file remover (nfr.exe) from majorgeeks.com and remove all the nvidia and ATI video drivers and control panels. Reboot and do a clean ATI install.

3) Last act of desperation assumes you can not manually clean the drivers. Reformat and reinstall. Taking this approach is a sign of abject defeat and should only be done in desperation.

get the soft modded versions of ATI drives raise the clock and mem and see how dat goes and yeah there is alot of software for uninstalling old pieces of drivers that are left behind

Umm, you are making sure to un-install previous drivers before installing the new ones, right? This will affect ATI cards alot and tend to cause problems. Also, two other things; try looking on the ATI site for the 'Cat' un-installer, which should remove all previous versions of Catalyst drivers, and make sure you have the most current version of DirectX.

Sazar said:

if running max AA and AF i don't think ya will be getting a 10FPS only.. it should be higher since CS 1.6 graphic is pretty awful compare to CS:S though and moreover he is using a 9800 pro

I suggest u try other version of driver. Have a look at ati website for it. Have u tried reinstall CS?

personally I think that 1.8 p4 just isn't cutting it. You can have the greatest graphics card in the world but with the physics and heavy cpu load that the source engine inflicts on a system is just too much for your system. It really stinks but I think that's it.

a system is only as fast as it's slowest part.

Other than that I think a good reformat or disk defrag would also increase performance. also see what else is running while you are playing. there may be something hogging resources

iron download this app: http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

Just unzip to an Everest folder and run it. It will tell you exactly what motherboard you have. Besides drivers, there is a possibility you might need a BIOS update, but you need to know what motherboard you are running. Plus it will tell you if the Radeon is running at 4x or 2x AGP. Once we get a better idea of what you are running, we might be able to help you better.

Tuffgong4 said:
personally I think that 1.8 p4 just isn't cutting it. You can have the greatest graphics card in the world but with the physics and heavy cpu load that the source engine inflicts on a system is just too much for your system. It really stinks but I think that's it.

a system is only as fast as it's slowest part.

Other than that I think a good reformat or disk defrag would also increase performance. also see what else is running while you are playing. there may be something hogging resources

I agree, a 1.8 would make a HUGE bottelneck on a 9800 esp with 4x agp, hl2 is a very cpu heavy game(which is why changing AA doesnt change performance too much)If possible I would OC you cpu to a 2.0-2.1 range(if you are ok with that) And make sure you do unistall old drivers before putting in new ones, after i updated my ati drivers on my 9700 i couldnt even open css till i uninstalled then reinstalled. So just try OC and fresh drivers. and what is the wattage on you psu?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back