Strange XP ftp problem...

• Thread starter zer(-)biwan
  • Start date
Z

zer(-)biwan

Hi,
I'm having a problem with the 'ftp' command in command console.
Where as i used to get a response like;
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxx>ftp
ftp> open etc ....

I now get a response like this;

ftp: connect
C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxx>

This doesn't make any sense, as I can't connect to a host via the usual method.

I also get this error when using "Smart ftp" when trying to connect to any host...

Connecting to (ftp.xxxxxx.com).
No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
Connection closed

I'm using a dialup, with the firewall enabled, but I've tried just about everything, including "firewall settings disabled", "Passive on and off".
Any help???

Well, you can type "ftp ftp.hostname.com" at the command line, and that should work...the SmartFTP error, you've probably gotta change some settings for the specific server you're connecting to.
/Lactic

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, but the error is still there.
Believe me I now how to use ftp, this is specifically an XP problem.

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxx>ftp ftp.xxxx.com
> ftp: connect :Unknown error number
C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxx>

Still open to suggestions.:)

Does it work if you use a 3rd party ftp program? if so then it is a problem with your connection and/or firewall seeing as a 3rd party ftp program won't use XP's built in FTP

and I know xp's FTP works fine so it is definitely some sort of connection problems.

No, as I said I also get this error when using "Smart ftp" when trying to connect to any host...

Connecting to (ftp.xxxxxx.com).
No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
Connection closed

This is definitely an XP issue as the commandline responses show...

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxx>

and;

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxx>ftp ftp.xxxx.com
> ftp: connect :Unknown error number
C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxx>

As said, I've tried it with firewall on and off.

if it is an XP issue it is an issue unique to you..but as I said it would most likely be your connection or something else of that nature

I can see you deeming it an XP problem from the response your getting at the command line, but the command line response has NOTHING to do with smart ftp...for both of those programs to not work would be more then xp's built in FTP...to do a test download cuteftp or such and if that dosn't work you know it's not an XP problem unless you have a program actively blocking ftp

also have you tried ftp'ing to a site such as ftp.aol.com or such from inside internet explorer?

I'm sorry to be so contradictive, but as a networking tech I can't fathom XP's built in ftp not working affecting any other ftp program since they do not use any inherent os abilities...only thing thawould break all of them is if your tcp/ip stack was bad..other then that XP can't cause all FTP programs to stop working..only some sort of network misconfiguration or firewall problem could

I knew it was xp, the ftp.exe in the system was corrupt.
I simply copied across a copy from my other workstation and now it works fine. Now why didn't I do that in the first place?
O well, sorted.

Originally posted by zer(-)biwan
I knew it was xp, the ftp.exe in the system was corrupt.
I simply copied across a copy from my other workstation and now it works fine. Now why didn't I do that in the first place?
O well, sorted.

but that does not explain why 3rd party programs would not work....the only way that would be applicable is if the 3rd party programmer was lazy and instead of using it's own FTP was simply providing a GUI and using the built in windows FTP..which would be extremely shoddy

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back