strange problem

chastity

Staff member
Political Access
Well I'm working on a Dell, just reload the OS but in the process of that I've found a couple odd issues.

Most important one is the fact if Windows finished installing, the first reboot it never boots. I have zero hard drive activity.

Any idea's?

My next step is to see if I can get to work using a different hard drive

remove every card - except for video (if you have any on board cards turn them off in bios), if that doesn't work it could be the drive, so i would use the recovery part of xp disc to check for issues there (or you could use hard manufacturers drive utilities

Well seems the test drive I hooked up actually made the system seem faster which I do find odd since its like half as big. So that leads me to think that factory drive might not have been hooked up tight or even though the tools included on a second partition said its good it might be failing.

Well the problem seems to be the custom XP disc I was using. Still no idea why it would not boot the OEM XP disc I had nor once I got to boot that disc that the key on the case would not work but got XP on it now.

Anybody know what to do in the case that the key provided doesn't work?

Keys on OEM disc will always work dude... anyway contact customer care for further help!!!!

You used a non-OEM XP CD or an OEM XP CD to install XP?

If it is an OEM CD and it came with the computer, it should re-activate with no problems.

If it is a non-OEM CD and the harware is already licensed from another OEM CD, you should not have any problems.

If it was orginally installed with a non-OEM CD, and now you are trying to install an OEM CD it will probably fail.

In almost all cases, when activation fails you are prompted with 1-800 number to a call center outsourced my M$. You simply explain to them the situation, then ask you to confirm you are not trying to install a pirated copy, and then they will give you a new activation code, or instructions on how to change the original product key.

So long as you are not trying to install the same OEM key on 2 machines you should not have problem.

The XP CD's contain a file that identify the "type" of CD (OEM / RETAIL / UPGRADE). This code limits the number of acceptable CD Keys that can be used (ie: an XP CD marked as RETAIL will not accepted OEM Key numbers.

Hope this makes sense and helps a little.

Ah the problem was the fact the OEM XP disc I was trying to use would not take the key from the sticker during the install, I never got a chance to try and activate it since I could not use the key to install it. I know the OEM disc I was using should have taken the key is because I've used it on 2 other systems with legal keys etc plus its the same as what a freind of mine uses at his work.

My question has to do with the fact I have the sticker on the side of the case which M$ I believe requires of system builders to put it there that is key but the OEM CD I was using for whatever reason would not take it so I wanted to know how do I get a new key if I can't even activate the OS

if the key on the sticker is OEM and he disc wont take it then its not an OEM disc you have, thats what i have always found, mind you i tend to slipstream all my discs so i never use the original discs :p - if you are using the one that come with the pc, then deff give customer support a call

It is also possible that the OEM Key on the sticker will not work with an OEM disk from a different mfg.

For example, if you have a Dell PC with Dell OEM Sticker, and a HP OEM Disk. The HP OEM Disk will not accept the Dell Key. I have had this problem before.

There are a few programs out there, that can get the Product Key back from the O/S. Of course the assumes you already have the OS installed and working. Sorry that's all I can think of at the moment

I also tried that find a working key get the OS loaded then change the key nope that didn't work either. The strangest issue I've run across and seems to be same for you fine folks.

Well got the OS loaded, updated etc so for the most part that is a mute point, though its a interesting glitch that a legal key would not load it nor would the OS take it once the OS was loaded either

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back