strange issue

chastity

Staff member
Political Access
First I always seem to have the strangest issues when I have computer issue and this is no different.

Ok this past Saturday I finally got around to installing a new power supply in my system, that went fine.

Now the issue is I can't shut it down, not via Start shut down, not via boot cd nor with the power button. What it does is shutdowns if you will then boots right back up.

Ok so put back in the old power supply the issue was still present so I'm assuming its in the hardware somewhere.

Thermaltake Toughpower 650Watt Cable Management PSU
Thermaltake Xaser III Case
Pentium 4 at 3.2GHz
2GB OCZ Ram
Intel Springdale i865PE

check you power supply connector, it was probably not or is loose. Especially the one from the case to the motherboard.

Are you sure it's not going into sleep mode and then re-awakening immediately due to keyboard/mouse movement? I hope I'm not being patronising but I know people this has happened to.

ray_gillespie hibertation gives me the same result, I've not tried sleep mode but guessing the result would be the same as everything else.

falconguard, I'm fairly sure the plug is tight but I'll double check it.

The only way I've found to get to actually shut down like one would think selecting shut down would do is to break the flow of power, ie unplug the computer, turn of the switch on the back of the psu or anything else that does the same thing.

I checked the all of the plugs and they are tight.

Maybe I clear up what it actually does. No matter how I go about shut downing, it shut downs for about 2 seconds then starts back up

What happens if you shut it down, then turn off the plug/switch at the back (before it has time to power up again), then turn the plug/switch at the back on again? Does power up on its own or stay off?

It would stay shut down I asusme but timing it right would be a challege. Basicly once it seems to start booting the second it as been depowered, I watch the network switch light go out along with the light on the front of the case then its already started back up. I'll give it a try though

If this is happening with the old power supply as well, reset your bios.

That was I had to do a long time ago when I had an XP machine that was doing the same thing.

Heeter

Tired loading the optimal BIOS Defaults which was the only default BIOS setting I found within the BIOS.

I could try moving using the jumper to reset the BIOS but I would assume the defaults would be the same.

However I'll give a try a couple of days Heeter

First I always seem to have the strangest issues when I have computer issue and this is no different.

It's cause the technology thinks you are foxy?

I'd have suspected the network booting option in BIOS shifting from default - look to your BIOS or mobo I guess... You can always work around it by switching at wall I guess, any decent PSU will tolerate that and protect equipment the other side... or use the mains switch on the PSU to be on the safe side....

I'd be curious if you made this a dual boot machine whether a Linux distro also failed to power down - I doubt it but could well be wrong (and it is a weird way to resolve it!)

Last edited:
I needed a "pull the battery" reset of the BIOS, not a return to default reset.

Good Luck.

Heeter

I would disable the auto restart on failure setting (that is if it's enabled) and see if you get a blue screen with an error code when you reboot.

Right click my computer, then click properties.
Click the advanced tab.
At startup and recovery click settings.
Uncheck the automatically restart box and click OK then restart the computer so the settings take effect.

See if you get an error code.

Also worth a look at the event viewer in computer management.

If you have a floppy drive installed see if you can access it without an error, I remember once I had a similar problem and couldn’t access the floppy so I disconnected it and the problem went away needless to say I replaced the floppy drive and everything was fine.

Thanks for clearing up which method for BIOS defaulting Heeter.

Mainframeguy, single boot XPSP3 but will double check the BIOS in regards to the network booting

bush dogg I don't get a blue screen error, I also already check the event viewer and found nothing, however I'll checkout the floppy drive

I would disable the auto restart on failure setting (that is if it's enabled) and see if you get a blue screen with an error code when you reboot.

Right click my computer, then click properties.
Click the advanced tab.
At startup and recovery click settings.
Uncheck the automatically restart box and click OK then restart the computer so the settings take effect.

See if you get an error code.

You have misunderstood…I meant if the setting is set to have the system reboot on failure then uncheck the box so it will not reboot/just Blue screen and maybe give an error code at that point.

bush its not rebooting because of an error - hes trying to shut-down the pc, but if he chooses shut-down in start menu, the pc goes to shut-down but then powers on and loads up windows (full reboot) same if he pushes power button, the pc just wont shut down :(

Hi Chastity,

May be a long shot but have you a network cable attached, and WOL (wake on lan) enabled in the BIOS? If not i'm lost on a solution for you, as is everyone else by the looks of things! I'm sure i have had this happen before on one of my PC's, but cannot for the life of me remember what i did to resolve it, but i did cure it eventually...

Hope you do get it sorted though.

Just found this too, it does say that a STOP screen may appear but you have said not. Have a read;

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311806

Well since my XPSP3 is already set not to reboot if I get a stop error/blue screen error and I'm not getting one of those anyways that is a mute point. Also unless somebody install Roxio 5 on this without me knowing then the information regarding it is also mute, though I do have Roxio EMC 8 installed but had it installed before the issue showed up anyways.

Will double check the WOL setting and unhooking the floppy and see what happens.

Did you check the motherboard to case headers? Maybe the reset cable was knocked off? Just throwing things out there...

Well the issue was still present with the floppy drive unhooked. Also was present after pulling the CMOS battery.

Pretty sure the headers from the case to the motherboard are good but I'll check them.

Have you checked the connectors for your Power SW and Reset switches? You may have them swapped around accidentally.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back